Us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
More of a comment than a question. I brewed yesterday and had my choice of using wlp001 california ale or dry US-05. I usually use liquid yeast by white labs but in my stk refrigerator there was a lonely pkg of us-05 from a kit I had bought a few years back that I never used. I said what the heck I'll use it as the use by date was coming up soon I figured if it didn't kick off ferm. Icould always use my wlp001. This blew my mind ... I pitched at around 10:30p.m. last night by 6a.m. I had a 3" krausen on top of the beer. In 71/2 hrs I had great fermentation (which probably even started closer to 4-4:30) I have never used this strain before and I'm looking foward to seeing what the flavor profile will be like. props to us-05 for a quick start.

The only issue I've seen with a quick start is that the temperature can get pretty hot, pretty fast. Just make sure it's no more than 72 degrees inside the fermenter, and it'll turn out great!

The only issue I've seen with a quick start is that the temperature can get pretty hot, pretty fast. Just make sure it's no more than 72 degrees inside the fermenter, and it'll turn out great!
yeah I agree 100% that was the only thing I noticed it shot up to about 75deg ( which beersmith2 says it's still in range) but I'm afraid it's going to throw off alot of esters. Between the wet shirt trick and me freezing my wife out of the house with dropping my a/c to 66deg I have it down right around 72 now.

I was just amazed that this strain started showing signs of fermentation between 5 to 7.5 hrs after pitching. People always talk about using liquid will cause fermentation to begin sooner etc.... and here you have a solid dry that has started quicker than any liquid I have ever used. Barring using liquid and making a starter that was quicker.

I used this yeast for the first time in my falconer's flight IPA that I brewed last week .
Fermentation started in about 5 hours and krausen got up to about 3 inches thick.
It has been bubbled steadily for 5 days and just started to slow down the last couple with krausen slowly falling to less than an inch thick.
very impressed with the activity of this yeast..
Will definitely be using it again

I was just amazed that this strain started showing signs of fermentation between 5 to 7.5 hrs after pitching. People always talk about using liquid will cause fermentation to begin sooner etc.... and here you have a solid dry that has started quicker than any liquid I have ever used. Barring using liquid and making a starter that was quicker.

Liquid vs dry really doesn't matter as far as lag time. The key is appropriate pitching rates. Usually, dry yeast starts up faster simple because the cell count is higher than a typical "smack pack" or vial of yeast. With an appropriate starter, the liquid yeast should have about the same amount of lag time.

I used this yeast for the first time in my falconer's flight IPA that I brewed last week .
Fermentation started in about 5 hours and krausen got up to about 3 inches thick.
It has been bubbled steadily for 5 days and just started to slow down the last couple with krausen slowly falling to less than an inch thick.
very impressed with the activity of this yeast..
Will definitely be using it again
I made this beer before but I sub'd the us-05 for wlp001 it's a pretty solid beer looking through my notes though and just wondering what your OG was and if you used the 2.5 gal boil or did you increase your volume for better hop utililazation? according to beersmith If I used the rccomended boil vol of 2.5gal I would haver only ended up with like 40IBU's where the box said 61-65IBU's so according to notes I used a 4 gallon boil and ebnded up appx at 80IBU's which is kinda high but I personally like it that way. Also looks like I dry hopped with cascade instead of the falconer's flight blend.

Yes! US-05 is simply amazing. It's the exact same Chico yeast strain as WLP001 and WY1056. The 11g pack of dry has twice as much yeast as a smack pack or vial. The liquid yeasts really need a starter to be as effective. So for half the price, you get twice as much and is 10x easier. For regular american ales that so many of us love, US-05 is the perfect yeast.

I've used s05 for the last 4 pale ales I've done. Pitched it dry after vigorous aeration. In every case I've gotten great results. Right now my Rosemary-Simcoe XPA is bubbling happily on s05; my next experiment will be to use the yeast cake for my Chase 2.5 IPA!

Aschecte...
I did an AG full boil IPA..my OG was 1.056 and 96 IBU's...
1.5 oz Chinook
1 oz falconer's flight at 15, 5 and FO
Should be a tastebud killer and I'm going to dry hop with another oz of falconer's

Aschecte...
I did an AG full boil IPA..my OG was 1.056 and 96 IBU's...
1.5 oz Chinook
1 oz falconer's flight at 15, 5 and FO
Should be a tastebud killer and I'm going to dry hop with another oz of falconer's
Nice !!!! I'm a hophead and I'm just going all-grain doing my first AG beer next saturday I think I may do this or something similar.

another question for you s-05 users out there. I'm looking to get a clean profile from this yeast and I see on beersmith2 program that us-05 has a range of 59-75 which is huge but what do you all think is a good temp as not to produce to much esters? I have a wet t-shirt and fan going right now on it and have the beer down to 68degrees and I'm not sure if I should go much further. Any advice is really appreciated.

another question for you s-05 users out there. I'm looking to get a clean profile from this yeast and I see on beersmith2 program that us-05 has a range of 59-75 which is huge but what do you all think is a good temp as not to produce to much esters? I have a wet t-shirt and fan going right now on it and have the beer down to 68degrees and I'm not sure if I should go much further. Any advice is really appreciated.

I like S05 at 66-68 degrees. I find that at 64 degrees or less, it gets a "peachy" kind of flavor that I dislike. I also found that at over 72 degrees, it also gets a bit estery and not as "clean". I think the sweet spot for S05 is right where you have it!

I have used US-05 on several batches of beer. I have found that 64° - 66° produces the cleanest flavor profile. I have heard of people fermenting it even cooler.

Back