Us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am brewing my first batch today, a German Kolsch. I am using the US-05 and the range on this yeast is 55-75 dgs, I thought about putting my fermenter in a cooler with water bottles to keep the temps down, but the temp in my house is 70dgs. I guess my question is should I skip the trouble of the cooler and put my fermenter in my 70dgs closet or do you think the yeast would perform better at lower temps?

US05 can certainly ferment OK at 70, but I think for a Kolsch you'd be better off lower. A glance at Jamil's Kolsch in Brewing Classic Styles shows that the dry yeast option is US05, fermented at 60.

I have to work during the day,leave at 6:00 and return at 3:00. Do you guys think if I put a frozen gallon of ice in the cooler before I leave and one upon my return that will be ok or will the temps fluctuate to much?

Great, Thanks for the quick response!! This forum is awesome. I will start my first brew around 2:00 and will post progress...Again thanks.

i just starting drinking my pumpkin pale ale that i used US-05 for. i had it fermenting in the mid 70's and it turned out great and fermented quickly.

a much faster working yeast than S-33. i'll probably continue to use US-05 for a majority of my american beers. i really want to try S-04 also. anyone have experience with S-04 and prefer it over US-05?

i just starting drinking my pumpkin pale ale that i used US-05 for. i had it fermenting in the mid 70's and it turned out great and fermented quickly.

a much faster working yeast than S-33. i'll probably continue to use US-05 for a majority of my american beers. i really want to try S-04 also. anyone have experience with S-04 and prefer it over US-05?

S-04 is what you would use if you wanted a more "Breadiness," so it's traditionally used by people who like safale yeasts for English Style ales. It's not as "clean" or neutral as 05

I used S-04 for my graff cider brew, fermented nicely. I'm planning to use it in an upcoming bitter.

I would try to keep it in the lower 60's if possible, but mid-60's is great too.

My big thing is that fermentation produces heat, and more vigorous fermentation produces more heat.

So, in a 62 degree house, the fermentation isn't as explosive and might raise the temp to 64. But in a 70 degree house, the fermentation will probably be more vigorous and maybe raise it to 75. At least, that's what I've found. I very unscientifically aim for lower sixties and my beers come out good with US-05.

As for the S-04, I used it for the first time recently and I did find that the FG was a little higher than I would have expected with the S-05.

As for the S-04, I used it for the first time recently and I did find that the FG was a little higher than I would have expected with the S-05.

Really? Everything I've read about S-04 says it gives you a lower FG. Guess advertising isn't always true. US-05 got my pumpkin down from 1.048 to 1.012 in 6 days.

Just pitched the US-05 about an hour ago, forgot to add my Irish moss...I think it will be ok what do you guys think? Sitting in cooler at about 65 dgs...hopefully will see some action in the morning. Thanks for all the advise!!!!

I think the pumpkin ale works in the mid-70s because the spices that I assume are in your beer probably hide any fruity esters that got produced. A Kolsch doesn't have that luxury, so the mid-70s probably isn't a good idea here.

In general, the cooler you ferment your beer, the fewer the esters that get produced. So, if you want a really "clean" beer (like a Kolsch should be), you want to ferment on the lower side.

Back