US-05 vs US-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With US-05, I typically have a hard time with it getting stuck when it gets above 9%. Anyone else have this problem with that yeast?

Thinking of giving US-04 a try on a 10.5% imperial stout. From what I read, it's got a higher alcohol tolerance than US-05. From those of you who have used US-04, has your experience shown that it does OK in higher ABV situations?

Not sure about the alcohol tolerance but I believe 04 flocks less and also has a slightly higher FG....My understanding is 04 is very similar to Imperial Juice.

you could always move into the kveik territory...pretty great alcohol tolerance in those.

Fermentis states both strains exhibit similar alcohol tolerance (9-11%), and similar best-case attenuation range of 82% (though US-05's range is narrower). That related, I still think US-05 will dry a beer more...

Cheers!

S-04 floccs a lot better than US-05. It sticks to the bottom of the bottle real well. I stopped using US-05 because it was so easy to disturb in the bottle.

That's my mistake... I relied on this pop up from Google...

Screenshot_20201015-193316_Chrome.jpg

However, after clicking on the link, the 14%was referring to Nottingham yeast.

So I'm an idiot. Sorry about that.

Leads me to my next question though. Nottingham in an Imperial stout? I would think would be acceptable?

my nextbrew is an imperial stout and I was debating over this same question (planned abv is 10%). Eventually said screw it and have decided to just use some harvested voss instead. It's well known to love high gravity and added bonus is it will tear through it pretty fast to boot!

my nextbrew is an imperial stout and I was debating over this same question (planned abv is 10%). Eventually said screw it and have decided to just use some harvested voss instead. It's well known to love high gravity and added bonus is it will tear through it pretty fast to boot!

Granted, everyone's tastes are different but I've had several people tell me they weren't fans kviek yeast so I haven't pulled the trigger on trying any of those yet.

Per this thread, they were successful in getting it to 12%. Seemed to do the trick and lallemands website states 14% tolerance. We'll see how it goes.
In the TDS for Nottingham (link to PDF), there is additional information related to high OG worts. There may be additional information elsewhere in the TDS,

We [Lallemand] highly recommend rehydration in harsher fermentation conditions such as high gravity or sour wort where the added stress of dry-pitching is more likely to have a greater impact on the finished beer. Use of a rehydration nutrient such as Go-Ferm Protect Evolution has been shown to improve fermentation performance for difficult fermen-tations

I've had issues with both S04 and US05 above 9% if i'm sprinkling it dry or rehydrated. However if you do a very small starter 24hours before hand, i've found that it makes the difference and bumps the tolerance a bit. It puts healthy ready to eat yeast in and it chews away immediately.

That being said, flavor wise, S04 definitely leaves a distinct flavor behind. When it comes to stouts i get a bready sweet flavor, when it comes to IPAs, its peachy and gummy. US05 is much cleaner and has less esters.

Granted, everyone's tastes are different but I've had several people tell me they weren't fans kviek yeast so I haven't pulled the trigger on trying any of those yet.
That is fair. I love Voss for IPAs because at 90F it gives some orange flavors. I have never ran kveik at lower “normal” temps, but it probably runs cleaner while still having the alcohol tolerance. Just a thought

So I picked up 6 packs of Nottingham today, per lallemands calculator. I don't name time to do a stepped starter as I'm gone on work travel all next week. I don't really want to rehydrate 6 packs (I will if I have to..) because that is a crap load of water that I'd have to rehydrate in and don't really want to add all that to the beer.

Is there any other method of doing some kind of starter that will at least get them ready to go and even a little bit more healthy or is rehydration really the only way to go?

I don't really want to rehydrate 6 packs (I will if I have to..) because that is a crap load of water that I'd have to rehydrate in and don't really want to add all that to the beer.

Is there any other method ...
Adjust the wort volume (and/or wort OG) to account for the water volume from the re-hydrated yeast?

Re-hydrate some (but not all) of the packages of yeast?

Last edited:
Back