US-05 vs. Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40dave

Reaction score
I save my yeast and my refrigerator it's getting full. I have 2 ale recipes I like that I got on this forum, Cream of Three Crops uses US-05 and Centennial Blonde uses Nottingham. I am planning of doing an experiment to see if I can taste the difference between the two yeasts for both recipes. Does anyone think I will be able to notice a difference between the two? And does anyone have a preference between the these two yeasts? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've brewed both of those recipes a few times with various yeasts, and I dont think you'd notice a difference. I dont have much of a taste preference between the two, but I find notty to be a complete workhorse. Takes off quicker in my experience, is a little more flexible to lower temps, clears quicker, and makes a nice solid yeast slug on the bottom of my bottles. Its probably a bit more neutral than 05 as well, but I really doubt I could ever be able to taste a difference.

I've never thought twice about using the two interchangeably, but I've since decided that notty will be my default ale yeast unless I'm looking for something in particular.

I will still do a swap experiment (underway) and if I do not prefer one or the other I will stay with the stick with the notty, thanks.

Yep, experiment away! Its part of the fun, after all. Either yeast in those recipes will be great though. I keep some variation of one or the other stocked at all times since they go over so well with family and friends.

I don't think you'll notice a difference in those beers. Maybe in more hop forward beers (I think Notty mutes hop flavour and aroma, but haven't done side-by-sides). I second Notty being a faster worker - it drops clear faster, too.

It depends on fermentation temperature. S05 gets really weirdly peachy below about 66F, while nottingham is perfectly clean at 62-64, but gets really oddly estery at above about 66-68F. If you fermented them both at 66, they would probably be the same. Warmer, and the S05 would taste cleaner. Colder, the nottingham would be great.

I keep hearing about that peachy flavor from 05 at lower temps, but I have yet to experience it. I dont doubt that its there, but I must not taste it as easily as others do. I know at some point I've had to have fermented it multiple times at lower temp, but now that I have my control a bit more zeroed in, I might have to purposely give it a shot in a really basic small batch blonde ale to see if I can get it to come through.

"Would you recommend nottingham yeast in 2020?" (AHA forums) also discusses Nottingham, US-05, and peach flavors from certain yeast strains. I know that some people taste it, and it reads like people can learn to taste it. I'm not in either of those groups. In the winter, I can ferment with US-05 at 60F-ish (wort, not ambient) - but (currently) don't taste peach flavors in those beers.

Back