US 05 starter at high krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Trying one more attempt at fixing a stalled fermentation.

Made a1L starter tonight that i want to pitch at high krausen. It's on a stir plate at 70 degrees. Anyone know about how long i should let it wait to get to high krausen? I've read anywhere from 4-6 hours up to 12 hours on different yeasts. Wondering what other ppls experience with us05 is.

What are signs of high krausen, just a frothy top on the starter?

You most likely see the krausen if you're using a stir plate. Take it off the stir plate and swirl it periodically. If a krausen rises when it is swirled it is ready to pitch. It will probably be ready to pitch when you swirl it in the morning.

Thanks flars. Second part of the question...

My RIS is stalled at 1.050. Is a 1L starter enough or should i go bigger? The beer I'm pitching this into is 4.5 gallons so i don't know if i should go bigger as that may affect the flavor of my beer but figured I'd ask

Thanks flars. Second part of the question...

My RIS is stalled at 1.050. Is a 1L starter enough or should i go bigger? The beer I'm pitching this into is 4.5 gallons so i don't know if i should go bigger as that may affect the flavor of my beer but figured I'd ask

You can try the US-05 to see what it might be able to do. A high gravity RIS that stopped fermenting not due to ingredients or high mash temperature might need a high gravity ale yeast like WLP099, or a different high gravity strain, to finish the fermentation.

Awesome. Thanks. Appreciate the help. I tried pitching 2 packs of rehydrated us05 with yeast nutrient and it only brought it down 10 points - 1.060 to 1.050. I'll try this and see how it goes

Back