US-05 stalling out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
I've got an amber ale that's been in primary for 3 weeks and seems to be stuck at 1.020. I had it in a ferm chamber set to 66F and I believe it stayed there for a few days but my basement then dropped to around 60F. The yeast was rehydrated, OG was1.060, and the wort was oxygenated with pure O2 so I don't think there are any other suspects for stopping at 1.020. Obviously 60F is in the range for us-05 but could a drop of a few degrees have put the yeast to sleep?

Regardless, would love input on my best options: I already brought the bucket to a 68F room and roused it slightly. Should I wait to see if that does the trick (it's been 3 weeks since pitching)? I also have a spare sachet of us-05--is it worth pitching some or all of that to help out?

Thanks!

It sounds done, and repitching won't help. It sounds like there are some unfermentables left in there, from crystal malt or extract or a high mash temperature.

Yooper said:
It sounds done, and repitching won't help. It sounds like there are some unfermentables left in there, from crystal malt or extract or a high mash temperature.
You could be right, but that would be low ~65% attenuation and I only had a pound of c40 (rest of the recipe was 1# carapils 9.5 # two row and 4 oz chocolate malt. Mash temp was 154 ..seems a little high to finish there no?

Us-05 will keep chugging away at low temps, it don't care. 1lbs or cara pils and 1 lbs of crystal would leave a ton of residual sweetness

Agreed. 3 weeks in primary and loads of unfermentable sugars, it's done.

Back