Quantcast

us-05 gone crazy

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
so i pitched my house ipa on a cake of us-05 from a blonde ale, i do this all the time, but this time, it attenuated to 84.3% according to my measurements. freak accident? infection? the sample from the bottom of the bottling bucket tasted fine, a bit thinner than usual but than again it was a small sample and not carbed oviously, anyone have us-05 attenuate this much regularly? only change in my process of late has been to dump the wort back and forth between the fermenter and brewpot a bunch in an attempt to better aerate the wort as I have had some beers finish higher than i would like, any thoughts are appreciated...

squeekybobo

Reaction score
Whenever I use us-05, I get that kind of attenuation. I made a ruination clone from Yooper's recipe that I racked onto a us-05 cake, and it started bubbling like crazy 20 minutes after I put the blowoff tube on, and continued to do so for at least a week.

ChessRockwell

Reaction score
Are you brewing all grain? Did you change the mash temp or anything...? If you haven't changed anything else I can't think of a reason. You didn't add any sugar to the recipe did you? What was the OG and FG?