US 05 for a British beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Last night I brewed up a British pale ale recipe. I used 4oz of British hops for a 5 gallon batch so should be fairly hoppy.
Problem is I bought us05 instead of 04... Doh!
I'm not too concerned just a bit annoyed by my error as I don't get time to brew very often. Should I ferment on the higher side (68-70)to get a bit more fruitiness or stick to my normal range (62-64). Thanks.

05 pushes a 'peachy' sort of ester at it's temperature extremes. Had it happen to me, and I really wasn't keen on it. I'd keep it at normal temps and end up with a cleaner beer overall.

Run the US05 at 67-68 wort temperature.
It'll be cleaner than the colder band and quite unlike S04, but imo it'll be the best you can do under the circumstances...

Cheers!

I've brewed US-05 in the lower 70's and didn't have any undesirable flavors with it. It will throw some esters, but in the upper range I wouldn't describe it as a peach flavor. I think the peach flavor comes from using US-05 at really low temps. In the lower 70's it has a bit more of a yeast flavor in my opinion. Most of it will age out. It does produce a slightly hotter alcohol when brewed warmer, but as long as you keep it from going over 75F it isn't bad at all.

Back