US-05 fermentation at higher temps question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had let this yeast go at higher temps and what happened. I'd assume hot alcohols... NOT GOOD! But just wondering if this yeast ever gives off any esters when stressed? To clarify I was thinking 70-75 degrees, not 85 though I'm not sure it'd give off any esters even then.

Thanks & Schlante,
Phillip

check the package, but I think that US-05 has a temperature range that tops out at 75-deg so I don't think the range you are talking about would be problematic (70-75 deg). I think you'd get a better product if you were a little lower, but I know that my basement hold around 70-deg during the summer, and the brews I made came out quite tasty.

I found a spec page here. It says 59-75 deg so I would think you will be fine.

i'm pretty sure you will get some ester production from us-05 if your ambient temperature is 70-75, you could be at 75-80 within the fermenter if that is the case. and it is an ale yeast, so it will give you some esters regardless. if you can keep the actual fermentation temperature at 72 or below, i think that would be ideal.

Safale US-05 is a bit more forgiving than many other dry yeasts in my experience. It will start to throw a few esters above 70-72 and more as the temperature rises. They shouldn't be nasty but it won't be the best beer it can be - slightly fruity tasting. If you can keep it in the 64-66 range you'll usually get a nice crisp and clean tasting beer.

If you simply can't keep the fermentation under 70, US-05 is a better choice than Nottingham IMO. That one tastes icky to me at 75

Are you talking 70-75 ambient temp or the wort/beer temp? This range is the upper portion of this yeast and if 70-75 is your ambient and it is not in a water bath, your wort/beer temp could be closer to 76-83 during the vigorous fermentation which would not give you flavors that you are looking for.

I live in Texas and keep my air conditioning at 78 degrees, so I use S-05 because it can go a tad higher in temp than other yeast. I keep the first week in a large tub with water and frozen gallon jugs of ice, and wrap the carboy in a t-shirt with a fan pointed right at it. This will keep the wort temps right at 68-70 if I swap out the ice jugs twice a day. After the first week when it starts slowing down, I stop adding the ice jugs but keep the t-shirt/fan going - this brings the wort up to 75-76 range to make sure those yeasties don't go to sleep on me and finish up their work.

The most critical time is the first week, after that - easter production is not much of an issue and you want the yeasties to hang around and finish cleaning up. I am sure I would have better brew if I could keep the wort down to 65 or so, but it is just a no-can-do for me.

This course of fermentation works well and I do not notice much, if any, off flavors.

To be clear, I use this yeast in any American style I brew, when applicable, it's my go to yeast! I use a water bath with frozen bottles & can usually hold it within 3 degrees of my target which is generally 63-65 degrees (helps that I work at home and can swap bottles frequently throughout the hot MS summers). I was wondering if anyone had experience with it brewing at higher "ferm" temps (I'm talking about fermentation temperatures).

I posted it in this forum knowing that many people post their problems here and thought someone might have run across it, etc. So my question still remains does anyone have experience with this yeast producing esters at higher temps and did it also produce higher alcohols. Mostly curious as this yeast is so forgiving/clean... Thanks for the replies and attempts at help though. Makes me feel sort of bad that I don't actually have a problem... well not with fermentation at least ;)

Schlante,
Phillip

I used US-05 for my last two batches and both times my fermentation temps ran into the high 70's. There is a slight after taste to my beers that my brother in law describes as honey baked ham. This seems to dissipate over time (my oldest batch is about 16 weeks old now) but the goal is just not to have it.

My current batch is an IPA and with my new Igloo cooler the temp has never exceeded 67°. So far I have only tasted the hydro sample but it seems to be free of the after taste I've noticed in my other beers. Time will tell...

I used US-05 for my last two batches and both times my fermentation temps ran into the high 70's. There is a slight after taste to my beers that my brother in law describes as honey baked ham. This seems to dissipate over time (my oldest batch is about 16 weeks old now) but the goal is just not to have it.

My current batch is an IPA and with my new Igloo cooler the temp has never exceeded 67°. So far I have only tasted the hydro sample but it seems to be free of the after taste I've noticed in my other beers. Time will tell...

I suspect the 'honey baked ham' flavor might be diacetyl. Just a thought and that would give me something of an answer as that would be most unwanted. I've had a batch with US-05 briefly reacy 71, but that's it. I've never noticed any off flavors or esters in my batches with this yeast. Thanks for the input. Btw you'll be MOST pleased with your bier now that you're efforting controlling the ferm temps. One only needs 2 things to make good bier, solid sanitization & ferm. temp. control!

Schlante,
Phillip

US-05 is drinkable at 70, but it's amazing at 59.
You go that low? I usually lock in my fermenter at 60F when I pitch. So I'm thinking around 68F during active fermentation. After two days I up it to 64F or so.
How low have you gone and at what stages.
But to be on topic for the OP for once, I have found us-05 to be a great go to yeast. I have even tried it on some of the non-American styles and I do like the final product.
With that said, go with a rubber maid container or bathtub with some water and some 2 litre bottles of frozen salt water to lower the temps. Really, it is worth the hassle of swapping them out twice a day.
Before I got my fermentation fridge, I would use 1 at night, and two during the day. You will be happy you did it for the first 4 to 5 days.
Best of luck.

I have had us-05 go up to maybe 81 or so with good results. It was during a unseasonably hot day and crazy active fermentation. The beer was racked on top of an existing cake of us-05 the day before and I'm sure the massive over pitching saved the day. The beer BTW was a light beer with ~ 20 IBU or so and only had the slightest fruity taste that no one seemed to notice.

I use dry yeast or pitch onto an old cake every chance I get and have great results.

+1 for us-05 It's my favorite.

Of course its better when kept cool, I have some going at 62 or 63 in the fridge right now...

I fermented four batches with S-05 at room temps of around 72...so the fermenting wort could have been almost 80 degrees. I got a lot of banana-like esters that were pretty overpowering. In three of the batches, they are still pretty undrinkable even after a month in the bottle, although one of the batches, and IPA turned out real nice. Got some hot fusels in a couple of them too...

I did my first batch with US-05 and it probably ran in the low 70s, there is some slight banana/fruity character but nobody I've served it to has noticed.

I too am putting the US-05 to work and couldn't believe how much heat gets generated from fermentation. I was holding a temp of 68 steady until she took off. Hopefully, just moving it to a cooler location (basement) helps.

i am using US-05 right now in a american wheat (blue moon clone) which i pitched at 75 F and cooled down to 73 F but had problems keeping it cool cause i am in an apt and they have yet to turn on the AC. The first 24 Hrs where held at 73F then it shot up to 78F for about 12 hours while I slept and the I got it down to 75F where i emplored the water bath with t-shirt method. I am at work and will check it soon to see the current temp but luckly its a wheat so esters are welcome. I am going to try and get it down to 70 for the rest of the 1st week to hopefully offset the high temps and will keep you posted on taste

bump, (what does this term mean imply?)

I just made a beer Saturday, and the room was around 68F and pretty much all day Sunday. Last night the room temp got up to 70F and today was around 72. I checked the carboy and it was 72F. I put it in water batch and now the water bath is reading 66F. Should I get any off flavors from this beer? I pitched 1 packet of US-05.

bump, (what does this term mean imply?)

I just made a beer Saturday, and the room was around 68F and pretty much all day Sunday. Last night the room temp got up to 70F and today was around 72. I checked the carboy and it was 72F. I put it in water batch and now the water bath is reading 66F. Should I get any off flavors from this beer? I pitched 1 packet of US-05.

If you are looking for really clean yeast flavor (ie: no real yeast flavor) you might be disappointed. BUT it should be nice and mild (some may like it this way!). You are defiantly in the safe range. Your flavor is going to depend more on the rest of your beer IMO with this yeast even at that temperature. If your beer is a BMC clone then you probably failed, otherwise no worries! Your fine.

i would assume your gonna get some fruity flavors and maybe a bit of fusel if you drink it warm. I have been using US-05 alot and i think i dont like it above 66. at 68 it still tastes off to me

Hello-

I am hoping for some follow-up from the participants on this thread. I currently have a fermentation (IPA) that the temp got away from me on. It topped out at 78 before I moved it to a cooler room.

Were there any ill effects from people who had US-05 at >75 in the first 24 hours?

Not speculation...please. Actual feedback through observation.

I always pitch my US-05 at ~70'f and it chills down to about 62'f in 24 hours and I've ZERO!!! esters of any kind.

I always pitch my US-05 at ~70'f and it chills down to about 62'f in 24 hours and I've ZERO!!! esters of any kind.

Does it seem "less active" after that first 24, when the temp drops? I know airlock is a good indication of nothing. But my airlock activity just stopped dead at 24 hours...which is new to me.

Hello-

I am hoping for some follow-up from the participants on this thread. I currently have a fermentation (IPA) that the temp got away from me on. It topped out at 78 before I moved it to a cooler room.

Were there any ill effects from people who had US-05 at >75 in the first 24 hours?

Not speculation...please. Actual feedback through observation.

When I started I fermented many batches at 68-73F room temp. I'm sure some got as high at 78F fermentation temp. Your going to have some fusel alcohol and less pleasant esters. I'm sure it will be drinkable it just could be better. My chest freezer took my brew to a whole new level. The first few days are the most important. Yeast work very fast at over 70F.

Does it seem "less active" after that first 24, when the temp drops? I know airlock is a good indication of nothing. But my airlock activity just stopped dead at 24 hours...which is new to me.

My fermentation starts 9-12 hours after pitching and has a lot of airlock activity for around 3-4 days.

Well, after brewing and dryhopping the damn thing is going to have a combined 6 oz of Colombus and Cascade in it when all is said and done. If that doesn't cover up my mistakes, I don't know what will. :p

Thanks all

Follow up at the post- bottle condition mark for my IPA. Fruity esters are present. Tastes like a "Peach IPA." Though my wife insists, it is apricot-y.

I am sure it will fade, but not before I drink it. Thus is the life in the pipeline.

I've since gotten a craigslist fridge and a temp controller. Live and learn!

I just let the temp on an IIPA with us-05 get away from me (well into the 80s) and from a preliminary taste (when I took a gravity reading) it is a bit interesting.

First of all, living in Mexico, I have a hard time getting the temp much below 72 before I pitch. Pitched 1 pack into a wort of 1.084 OG this past Tuesday, and put it in a disconnected fridge to ferment with a couple of coffee cans of ice to try to keep the temp down. The temp quickly got out of control; cans of ice (which usually do the trick for me) were doing nothing. Temp quickly ran into the 80s (off my fermometer scale) and I've been slammed with work lately, so it just did not get much of my attention last week.

The strange thing is that it never seemed especially active, no blow-out, never a thick krausen, though for a couple of days the froth started creeping into the neck of the carboy. It looked like it was working, but considering the og and temp, I expected much more.

By Friday, it seemed like there was no activity, and it had actually cleared out pretty nicely. On Saturday, I plugged the fridge in, just hoping to maybe get a handle on the thing if it wasn't too late. I got it down to 70, put my newest brew in, and crossed my fingers that I hadn't ruined it.

I finally got around to pulling some out today to see where my gravity was, and give it a taste. SG is at 1.018, for a current ABV of 8.8%. It actually has a really nice flavor with some distinct apricot flavors in the finish, as the previous poster noted. A little hot alcohol, but not too bad, actually. It kind of reminds me of Breckenridges small batch 471 IPA.

I guess in response to OP, I would say if you let it work in the 80s, you get some esters that taste a bit like apricot to me.

Maybe a bit tangential, but anyone have any ideas about a dry hop that might complement/ accentuate that apricot flavor. I'm kind of digging it.

Thanks, and cheers!

Has anyone tried US-05 in conditions when the fermentation temperature is not below 26 ° C?

Has anyone tried US-05 in conditions when the fermentation temperature is not below 26 ° C?

I have not tried at at 26C or higher, but it could turn hot ( fusel ) and possibly phenolic. If you are willing to experiment, you could try that and let us know how it turned out.

I've pushed temperature limits on most dry yeast with little to no ill effect, but I don't know how 26C would treat US-05. Probably better than other, more sensitive strains. But you should expect some fusel alcohols/phenols/weird flavours...maybe.

My last beer that I fermented with that yeast was about 23 ° C and turned out perfectly. But summer comes and temperatures are increasing ...

I would put the fermenter in an ice bath, in like a tub or something to keep the temperature low.

I see Fermentis has bumped the temp-range for us-05 up to 28C. (82F).

I had to try this. I started it at 16C as usual and ramped it up to 28C over 60 hrs. I'm gonna keg it later today.

I had to try this. I started it at 16C as usual and ramped it up to 28C over 60 hrs. I'm gonna keg it later today.

Smellyglove: thank you for poiting that out. I've just checked the US-05 specs. sheet and ... voila: https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SafAle-US-05.pdf

82F/28C... that's quite the temperature. But I think that only makes things easier for those of us without temp. control. And I hope Fermentis do really mean that. So Ninoid, that will make things easier for you then. I would still choose to try to keep the temperature lower.

Cheers!

Here she is. Its pretty hoppy but I can't detect any unwanted fusels. I'd say it's clean as a whistle fusel-wise. The OG was only 1.048 though.

IMG_20180519_163032.jpg

It's impossible to say anything about the esters because of the hops. I used El Dorado and Galaxy and it tastes like I'm biting an orange.

You could try fermenting under pressure. Supposedly it reduces the phenols and esters. Worth a try maybe, if you have the ability to

You could try fermenting under pressure. Supposedly it reduces the phenols and esters. Worth a try maybe, if you have the ability to

I do this for lagers and will try this for ny next test at 28C with us-05. when I opened the ferm-fridge the smell of lost precious hop-aroma hit me in the face. This was before dryhopping. It doesn't smell that "good" (which is a bad thing) when I ferment at 19C. But for a hoppy thing, even if it would throw out some esters at 28C, I guess it would be a complimentary thing. I use 05 quite often for "straight hoppy things" because it's simple do just do a batch with dry yeast and I like that slight fruitiness it gives.

But I must say. At some point in the fermentation (can't remember when), it tasted a little bit hot. (like alcohol hot). But there's none of that in the finished beer. When doing at 19C I never get a hot sting with the same-ish OG.

The beer was kegged 9 days after brewday (pitched late at night, so 8.5 days approx) including dryhopping and cold crashing. I left it for almost three days between FG was reached before i dryhopped it.

Last edited:
I try gelatin on my batch with US-05 that ferment on 23'C and no any smell or weird aroma.

Back