US-05 dry yeast...does using liquid yeast make a big difference when brewing an APAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have seen so many things about the idea that dry yeast safale US-05 is basically the common californian ale strain and using liquid yeast wont make a big difference.

But......are there any homebrewers out there that use some strain of liquid yeast to brew APAs, AAAs and IPAs that emphasizes maltiness, sweetness and aroma more than the good old dry yeast? If yes, which strains?

Funny you should ask. I just brewed 18 gallons of American Pale Ale. I split the batch into 4 fermenters. Two got WLP001 and two got Nottingham (which I love an use in my American and English styles).

While my test was not using the "same" liquid and dry stain... like doing US-05 vs. 1056... I was hoping to see what impact there would be.

Jamil says that when he did that comparison, he noticed a slight peach note in the US-05 and therefor prefers WLP001.

Anyway, My batch was 1.053 and finish at 1.014... WLP001 and Nottingham both fermented in the same time, and both dropped bright in 7 days. I cold crash for 5 days at 35F and the beer was quite good on day 14.

Drinking the 1st pint I noticed they were not the 'same beer' but were both acceptable. At this point I still don't know which tap received which keg but I plan to peek after one more 'blind' tasting.

I used US-05 once and had a weird problem where it would not flock. That's the main reason why I don't use it.

But I would say, you could make an award winning APA with dry yeast. It is not a style that you can only make from liquid.

I don't think sweetness is a good quality in an American Pale Ale. Some people do use an English strain to make a pale ale. Lagunitas uses an English strain in most if their beers and their Dog Town Pale Ale is great.

So, I just poured two pints of my new APA. I don't think there was any significant difference between the WLP001 and Nottingham dry yeast, at least in the beer I brewed.

If we were at a party and I refilled your glass with either one you would have no idea.

So, I'd say if you like the results you are getting from US-05, stick with it. Or split a batch and compare.

I'm fermenting an APA with Wyeast 1187 Ringwood right now, which I'm hoping will have a slight malty sweetness. I initially planned to use US-05, but had some slurry on hand and thought I'd give it a try

I've never used ringwood. The beers I've made with a slight malty sweetness were due to recipe. Pilsner or C-15 can lend a sweetness. What was your malt bill like?

I'm fermenting an APA with Wyeast 1187 Ringwood right now, which I'm hoping will have a slight malty sweetness. I initially planned to use US-05, but had some slurry on hand and thought I'd give it a try

If you have ever had Shipyard Brewing - that is Ringwood. Underpitching throws diacetyl - common in Shipyard beers.

I've never used ringwood. The beers I've made with a slight malty sweetness were due to recipe. Pilsner or C-15 can lend a sweetness. What was your malt bill like?

It makes a fine brew. Used it the first time just before my APA in a porter. Here's the malt bill for the APA:

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.1%
IBU (tinseth): 43.23

FERMENTABLES:
6.05 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (57.9%)
3.3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (31.6%)
0.55 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.3%)
0.55 lb - American - Munich - Dark 20L (5.3%)

If you have ever had Shipyard Brewing - that is Ringwood. Underpitching throws diacetyl - common in Shipyard beers.

I haven't had a chance to try Shipyard, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I underpitched my Porter slightly, hoping to boost the esters a tad, but I'm not picking up a lot. Next time I might increase fermentation temp a couple degrees.

OP-- what were your pitch and ferment temps?

The flavors you get from Nottingham are very temperature dependent. Upper 50's to start gives a very clean ferment. It starts throwing esters about 68*F (beer temp) and gets kinda funky if you let it go higher than that during active fermentation.

OP-- what were your pitch and ferment temps?

The flavors you get from Nottingham are very temperature dependent. Upper 50's to start gives a very clean ferment. It starts throwing esters about 68*F (beer temp) and gets kinda funky if you let it go higher than that during active fermentation.

I pitch at 73F and rehydrate in water that is at 90-92F.

My fermentation temp is at 64-65F. All this is using safale US-05.

English yeasts work very well to bring out the malt character. I am particularly fond of London Ale. As mentioned, you can achieve sweetness and maltiness with recipe and process.

English yeasts work very well to bring out the malt character. I am particularly fond of London Ale. As mentioned, you can achieve sweetness and maltiness with recipe and process.

Arcticz1, have you tried WY West Yorkshire? I'm considering it for the next batch, for malt character as well as top-cropping ability.

Arcticz1, have you tried WY West Yorkshire? I'm considering it for the next batch, for malt character as well as top-cropping ability.

I have not used it personally. However, I have heard great things about it. I would love to hear how it turns out for you.

Back