US-05 bottle conditioning at 55F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've just brewed an Strong Scotch ale (tastes awesome BTW - never had a beer taste this good at bottling before). OG was 1.074 FG was 1.021. I used two packs of US-05.

Fermentation temp was pretty constant at around 16c-18c (60-65F).

I'm wondering about whether bottle conditioning is going to work...The ambient temps in my basement are pretty cold (it's the middle of winter here), this morning when I checked it was 12.5c (54.5F).

Do you think US-05 will bottle condition properly at 54.5F? Is it going to take forever? Should I try and find a new temporary home for my beer for a couple of weeks?

Get them in a closet up in your house or something. 55F is too cold. It will take as much as 6-8 months to carb up at that temp. Try to get them to at least 65F. 70F would be even better.

Get them in a closet up in your house or something. 55F is too cold. It will take as much as 6-8 months to carb up at that temp. Try to get them to at least 65F. 70F would be even better.

What he said ^. I tried to condition below 65* and it took forever.

Back