US-05 and a slow start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I innoculated for the first time in my H-brewing career with dry yeast on Sat around 5pm, using US-05 in a 1.054OG wort. I didn't rehydrate, I just aerated well, pitched it in dry and stirred. I pitched around 76F, put my fermenter bucket in my 'poor-mans fermentation cooler' (read: ice cube with frozen water bottles).

A few hours later the fermometer on the side of the bucket was reading 68F.

Yesterday (Sunday) it wasn't really doing too much w/temp 64F. A bubble or two a minute. No visable krausen.

This morning (Monday) 1/2" of krausen had formed and temp is at 62/64F. Bubbling more often, but still nothing to really get excited about.

Everything is fine, I'm not concerned that something is wrong. Just more curious about using dry yeast. I've only used Wyeast smack packs before- so this is new to me.

Is this start typical for pitching the US-05 yeast straight out of the pack? Would rehydrating change anything?

I have used many more dry yeasts than liquid yeasts, and '05 is one of my favorites. Just pitched a packet of '05 last weekend and had the IPA foaming in 12 hours.

I have found re-hydrated dry starts a bit faster than liquid from the packs. If you build a starter (I have only done this 2x) it will typically start even quicker.

Good info- thanks. Everyone seems to like 05, I can't wait to try this brew. It certainly is easy to use. Next batch I'll rehydrate and see the difference.

I recently had a great fermentation with US-05. It is quickly becoming my favorite. Within 12 hours I had yeast blowing out my airlock so I switched to a blow off tube. My beer is an imperial amber of 1.069. I pitched 2 packs of rehydrated yeast. I think you might get better results if you wait to pitch the yeast once the wort temp has stabilized to your desired pitch temp. I waited several hours until my wort, in the ice bottle water bath, had gotten to 68f before I pitched. All of the experts I listen to and read agree that a more consistent temp makes it easier on the yeast. I goal is to keep the temp within 2 degrees.

US-05 is all i have used.
At times it seems a little slow to start, but it allways takes off. This time airlock got filled full of beer. So it did more than its job. Yes blow off tube in works

I know for a fact that rehydrating cuts the lag time down to almost half. Whether or not it has any affect on the finished product would probably depend on your sanitation regimen more than anything else.

Keep in mind that it's not going to start like gangbusters in the low 60's either. I like US05 in the 65-68F range myself.

I just used US 05 for the first time a week ago. I rehydrated and the air lock was bubbleing within 6 hours.

It's my understanding that dry yeasts are already packaged with the lipid proteins they need for reproduction - ordinarily they would need the oxygen to create those lipids for themselves. I have seen a data sheet from a dry yeast manufacturer that specifically stated that oxygenation was not necessary.

That said, I can't see it being detrimental either and I still make some effort to oxygenate when using dry yeast. I figure it can only help, even if it may not be absolutely necessary.

clip from Nottingham data sheet:
• Nottingham British Ale yeast has been conditioned to survive rehydration. The yeast contains an
adequate reservoir of carbohydrates and unsaturated fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is
unnecessary to aerate wort.

I know for a fact that rehydrating cuts the lag time down to almost half. Whether or not it has any affect on the finished product would probably depend on your sanitation regimen more than anything else.

Keep in mind that it's not going to start like gangbusters in the low 60's either. I like US05 in the 65-68F range myself.

I brewed two beers this past weekend: an AG Porter, and my "house" APA. I used S-04 in the Porter, and S-05 in the APA. I did something different this time...

With both beers, I pulled about 4-6 oz of wort out of the boil and cooled it while the boil continued. I then rehydrated the yeast in the cooled wort.

With both of these beers, I had volcanic airlock action in...
6 hours!:eek:

I've used us-05 several times myself, without rehydration, and I really like it. To reiterate what a few other have said, I think your temps may be a bit low, the yeasties seem to prefer mid to upper 60's. Maybe next time try pitching a little cooler and let the wort warm up if necessary, not the other way around.

I've used us-05 several times myself, without rehydration, and I really like it. To reiterate what a few other have said, I think your temps may be a bit low, the yeasties seem to prefer mid to upper 60's. Maybe next time try pitching a little cooler and let the wort warm up if necessary, not the other way around.

05 goes down to 59f. I typically ferment my pales and ipa's at 62-64 with no problems at all. I do start them around 70f and ramp down.

I've used -05 a number of times with no starter and it typically takes off in about 6 hours. I've never checked but think it has done its job in two days.

Technically speaking, proper rehydration of dry yeast requires you to sprinkle it on top of about a cup of 80-90F water and let it sit for about 15-30 minutes. Stir, pour into wort. It shouldn't be hydrated in wort because that's just like sprinkling it directly into the carboy.

Stupid question here,
But does it really matter if ferm. starts in 2 hrs or 10hrs? Long as the yeast does its job, And doesnt do it so well it blows your airlock off :mad:

The way i look at it, As long as the yeast does its job, I have no reason to change from US 05.. I cant tell you how long it takes me to start ferment i know when i brew that day..next day its going..bumbbling away.
Its going to be in that carboy for a week or so...Few hours isnt going to effect much.

You're right about the lag time but I'm going to argue that the rehydrated yeast starting faster is an indication of the quantity of viable cells. There's always anecdotal evidence that x is enough yeast, that y puts enough oxygen in, and mr. brewer never had any problems doing it that way. Isn't this a pursuit of perfection?

Latest posts

Back