URGENT - when to add lactose sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natehoekstra

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Help! I'm making a porter (extract) and am adding lactose sugar for a smooth mouth feel, but forgot to ask my LHBS when to add it. Do I add it with the LME?
I'm literally steeping specialty grains now, so I need help stat.

lactose won't ferment out so either add it now or at bottling, either is fine - I would probably add it during the boil to reduce the vectors for possible infection

You can add it at any time, but my preference is at flame out, right before you start to chill. You just need it to dissolve, and it dissolves great at that time, with no chance of burning, if you do it when scalding hot but off of the flame.

You can add it at any time, but my preference is at flame out, right before you start to chill. You just need it to dissolve, and it dissolves great at that time, with no chance of burning, if you do it when scalding hot but off of the flame.

Killer, Yooper. Thanks so much! I'll add it in after the boil finishes but before I cool it. Won't take long tonight in the 18 degree air!

Back