Urgent: Lost my Blow Off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipflop

Reaction score
I just moved into a new place and realized that I misplaced my blowoff tube. I just finished cooling my wort and topping off my carboy and have yet to add my yeast (in a starter). As I cant get a new blow off tube until tomorrow what would you suggest I do. Thanks in advance.

What would you normally hook it up to? What size tube?

Try using your racking cane and some duct tape?

You could also do a modified 3 piece airlock blowoff in a pinch. If you are using a 3 piece...I don't think it would work for S-types.

Do this.

blowoff2.jpg

You have to find a piece of long hose that will fit in the center pipe of your airlock...I had to do it in a pinch and found the the hose I had for my bottling wand almost fit....I put a small slit in it, then I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes to Soften and slid it around the tube...

I also found it is a good idea to cut, saw or break off the little criss crossing piece of plastic at the bottom of the airlock. It worked great!

mr x said:
I use a racking cane instead of a tube now. Works fine.

I don't have a racking cane. I use an auto siphon. Also I am using S type airlocks.

If I pitch now do you think I'll have time to get to a hardware or homebrew store in time to prevent a mess?

I'm still new to brewing so i don't know how much help i would be but i would think you would be fine just putting an airlock on until tomorrow until you can get one. I'm sure the fermentation isn't going to take off and explode over the first night. If you're afraid of that, the suggestion that Revvy gave uses a 1/2" hose.

I feel your pain i have a bucket going right now with a 3 piece airlock in it that is foaming at the mouth and i don't have a tube big enough to fit over the middle of the 3 piece not sure what i'm going to do prolly just leave it alone and hope that this is the peak of fermentation, maybe put some tore up plastic bags and papertowels on and around it :p
fb64615cf9371669818d52f955316faa.jpg

dipflop said:
I don't have a racking cane. I use an auto siphon. Also I am using S type airlocks.

If I pitch now do you think I'll have time to get to a hardware or homebrew store in time to prevent a mess?

I missed this post....Yes...It won't happen for a few hours 2-3 probably. Go to a hardware store. WHat are you using, a bucket or a Carboy?

If it's a bucket, pop the grommet off and take it with you, the get a hose that will slip inside it. If it's a carboy, Measure the ID of it and get some hose....or like they other guy posete some pvc and a couple of couplers.

Your tubing that fits the autosiphon will fit in the bucket if you remove the grommet.

edit- never mind- I see you're using a carboy. An airlock will work fine until tomorrow, unless you're fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy.

here is another solution; saw 4 -5 inches off your bottling stem sand it down to remove as much of the jagged edges as possible. bottling stem fits in the bucket grommet like a charm prolly fit a carboy plug just as good... now i gotta get a new bottling stem but there will be no mess to clean up tomorrow :)

Back