urgent! at scrap yard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say get em. They have had soda or beer in them before. What's the worst that could happen? They leak and you sell them back to the scrap yard?

Why do you say that they are aluminum? You know that magnets won't stick to most stainless steel kegs, right? Different grades of SS, some will have a magnet stick to them, the ones they use for kegs usually won't.

There are virtually no Al kegs out there any more, they stopped using them years ago because they aren't as durable. And, I've never heard of an Al cornie.

Often stainless kegs have a haze to them that looks like aluminum... hmm.

Still, if an aluminum can is considered the best container for single servings of beer, then why would an aluminum keg be inferior?

I say go for it either way!

IIRC, an aluminum can must have a thin plastic lining in it or the acid and carbonation would eat right through it. So I would doubt if a corny keg would be made of aluminum.

Steel/tin cans such as those used for soups require a thin plastic lining so that they don't rust. I've never heard of such a thing for aluminum beverage cans.

Steel/tin cans such as those used for soups require a thin plastic lining so that they don't rust. I've never heard of such a thing for aluminum beverage cans.

I agree - I don't think the typical beverage can is lined, either.

Keystone, if I remember right, used to advertise specifically that they line their cans, which made it sound like the other manufacturers don't.

Thanks for the help guys! I actually got a cornie that the guy at the scrap yard thought was aluminum so I got it for $5. It is in fact SS and after researching it seems that there probably are not any aluminum cornies out there.

Back