UPS sucks donkey butt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
Second time they have lost my package in the last 3 months. "On truck for delivery today", then next day it resets, "on truck for delivery today", next day resets again, "on truck for delivery today". Call the 800 number, they say "Oh, it's on the truck for delivery today." Won't look it up because it's "On truck for delivery today." I am so mad!! Last time this happened, they never did find my package.

I must have malted grain! I have 2 empty fermenters!! Empty!!! Must fill them!!! Aargh, I'll just stop by my local HBS tomorrow, gotta go to town anyway.

USPS may not be any better. I ordered a 3-way CO2 distributor on 2/28. Trying to follow the somewhat confusing tracking information, it appears that it arrived in Oregon a couple of days ago and, as of today, is now back in California at it's point of origin. No attempts were made to deliver. I guess because the estimated delivery day is not until 3/8, they wanted to make sure it didn't arrive early and are sending it on a second trip.

UPDATE: Last night I checked tracking to see if there was anything new on my purchase. I was a little surprised to see that it was now listed as delivered, until I noticed that USPS HAD DELIVERED THE PACKAGE TO THE SELLER/SHIPPER! Wouldn't you think that somewhere along the line someone would have caught that the package was going in the wrong direction? Still waiting for the seller to respond to the email I sent last night.

All the shippers suck at one time or another. My hops from farmhouse got delayed 9 days. They ended up Making it all the way to new jersey then somehow hopped a plane to Hawaii before finally making it to me in NY. It should have been a 3 day shipment, took 12 days.

JRems said:
All the shippers suck at one time or another. My hops from farmhouse got delayed 9 days. They ended up Making it all the way to new jersey then somehow hopped a plane to Hawaii before finally making it to me in NY. It should have been a 3 day shipment, took 12 days.

I wish I could accidentally hop a plane to Hawaii!

UPS has been horrific since early December.
I ship 4-5 packages every day through them at work.
The most infuriating part is that they take no responsibility for their issues.
If you paid for overnight shipping on something and would like to recover some of the cost, plan on spending an entire day on hold with their customer service, answering stupid questions, & filling out claim forms.

Here's my FedEx horror story.

I ordered from JC Whitney, paying for FedEx 2nd day service.

FedEx gets the package to Anchorage (35 miles away), then decides I'm to "remote" to deliver to (even though a FedEx truck goes through my neighborhood daily) so they hand my package over to the USPS for delivery.

USPS treats the package like 4th class and it sits in Anchorage for a week before they move it to my post office for delivery.

10 days it took that package to go 35 miles.

Ug.

Fedex is good around here, but UPS, oh god UPS is TERRIBLE. Our guy will put the you weren't here delivery attempt failed on your apartment door... without knocking or ringing. He doesn't even bring the package with him. Ive seen it! You literally have to wait down stairs and stalk him. I haven't ordered anything from UPS and wont order stuff that ships with them. At least until I move.

Here's my FedEx horror story.

I ordered from JC Whitney, paying for FedEx 2nd day service.

FedEx gets the package to Anchorage (35 miles away), then decides I'm to "remote" to deliver to (even though a FedEx truck goes through my neighborhood daily) so they hand my package over to the USPS for delivery.

USPS treats the package like 4th class and it sits in Anchorage for a week before they move it to my post office for delivery.

10 days it took that package to go 35 miles.

Ug.
Was it a 'remote' issue, or did the package actually ship FedEx Smartpost? The second one - smartpost - that's exactly what they do, get it to the 'local' USPS distribution center, and hand it off to USPS.

Given the choice, I'll ship UPS every time. You ship something UPS ground, estimated 5-7 days, and it seems like they'll get it to you as fast as they possibly can. You ship something FedEX ground 5-7 days, and at least around here, it doesn't matter if your package has to sit in the distribution center for four days, you WILL NOT get it before the 5th day. I will frequently get a UPS package before the estimated delivery date given when I order something. I have NEVER gotten a FedEx package before that date.

UPS is pretty decent around here. FedEx isn't. Several years ago, I had ordered a tent and a cooler from Amazon for a camping trip I was going on in a couple weeks. For whatever reason, they decided to send it FedEx. At the time, the street was torn up due to replacement of the sewage main. Not really a big deal as I live on a corner with a major thoroughfare on the non-addressed street, and the torn up street was only torn up on half the street and I have seen the FedEx truck and the UPS truck traverse it with no problem. After watching the FedEx updates for four days saying it is on the truck for delivery and not getting the packages, I saw it actually change to delivered status. I called FedEx and they told me it was delivered and there is nothing they can do about it. Called Amazon, and they said they will look into it and reship another set through UPS, so I'm very happy with Amazon on this one.

Two days later, I get my packages in time for my camping trip and a phone call from Amazon saying that they will refund all shipping charges due to an error on behalf of FedEx. Apparently they could not prove that they had actually delivered. But the best part was three weeks later when FedEx called me saying that they have my packages and when would be a good time to deliver them. As much as I thought it would be great to get two sets, I figured it would be even better to go off on the CSR about their shipping practices. At this point, it was over a month since they had taken possession of the packages for shipping. I don't remember what I said, but I do remember feeling extremely satisfied afterward.

I will refuse to order anything from a company who only uses FedEx. It hasn't happened often, so it really hasn't inconvenienced me much.

We've had some trouble with all three carriers, but generally we receive our packages with no problem. In our old apartment in a marginal part of town FedEx wouldn't leave the package at the door. We'd get the 'we tried, you weren't home' note and have to sign it and re-leave it for him the next morning. They did this because of the package theft rate in the area, and we were thankful for the inconvenience. UPS just left it, usually at the wrong door (three 'divisions' of the building). At least we got the goods. Where we're at now- suburbs- all carriers leave the stuff no questions asked. Kyle

It seems like your experience may vary depending on your area. Go with what works folks! Ive definitely gotten FedEx on the day before expected delivery before, And that meant I got to make mead a day earlier!

I've not personally had any issues with UPS or Fedex; all of my shipping issues that I can remember have been from USPS. It seems like every package I've gotten from them is either late or looks like they threw it on the ground and drove over it a few hundred times.

I've never had trouble with either. However I will say that FedEx is the only one that has routinely delivered a day early. With UPS I get the box on the exact date the tracking info says I will.

Having said that I worked at a FedEx hub in Chicago during college and it's a miracle that any of your packages get to you at all without being lost or ruined...

Back