UPS! *sniff*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizardofza

Reaction score
My wife's in California and scored me 12 Pliny the Elders. She packed 6 in one box, 4 in another and is carrying the remaining 2 on her carry-on.

She gets a call today from UPS saying they severely damaged the box with 6 in them! And of course they can't refund anything because it's against their policy of shipping beer.

I'm sick!! Although, I do have 6 coming, I was psyched I had 12!

Ah well :(

You may be left with only 4. I don't think the TSA will allow beer in her carry on bag.

Yeah, if she has any bags that she's checking, she can put them in there.. but otherwise, they'll make her throw them out. I'd personally get out of line and drink them if they made me do that. lol

packaging tip: completely fill any air space in the box with something. even if its just crumpled news paper. UPS recommends 2" of packing on all sides of the item.

Are there any beers you do like?

Yes. Several. Never said Pliny is bad. Just over rated. there are many, many beers as good or better than Pliny. IMHO.

The hype associated with so many of these products is just insane. Dark Lord being the worst yet. It's beer!

With regard to the loss it would be as frustrating if it were Flying dog Double Dog.

I agree, I think the more limited the distribution, the better the beer is perceived to be by the public.

I put off paying $6 for a bomber of Stone Ruination for a long time, then finally had it for the first time a couple weeks ago and I really just didn't like it that much.

I agree, I think the more limited the distribution, the better the beer is perceived to be by the public.

I put off paying $6 for a bomber of Stone Ruination for a long time, then finally had it for the first time a couple weeks ago and I really just didn't like it that much.

I had a Stone Ruination and swore it was identical to Flying Dog DD. Buddy insisted I was FOS. So, the next poor he got handed a glass of FDDD under the SR assumption. Swore it was the best beer evar and that FDDD didn;t even come close.

Too much of this occurs. Great for breweries bad for the underdogs.

I'm assuming she packed it well. I'll make sure the two get packed in her checked luggage. I didn't think of that.

Well, Pliny may be overrated, but it still doesn't stop me from thinking someone is out there drinking some of the undamaged beers on my dime! :)

You realize you picked an extremely widely distributed craft beer to make your point, right?

The beers you drink must be like god's tears or something.

If anything, that would probably taste like a Gose, considering the high salt content of tears. Of course, that is assuming that good ole Jehovah's fluids are malt-based. That is doubtful; he seems to be more into the fermented grapes.

You realize you picked an extremely widely distributed craft beer to make your point, right?

yes, hence why I can get it here, anything on the East coast is pretty widely distributed, we really dont get any rare beers here, I just wanted to give an example of a hyped up beer that didnt impress me.

Here's how UPS treated the last box of beer I shipped:

100_3498.jpg

100_3499.jpg

The trick is to double box it. Outer box, layer of foam peanuts, inner box with padded bottles.

-Joe

its almost like they know its beer but they cant admit that they know so they just take it out back and give it what-for

yea it looks like you SWMBO didn't put enough packing peanuts in the box. there was enough empty space for the box to compress and rip. you have to fill the box to near overflowing with those things.

I recently returned from CA with 4 Pliny's I stowed away in my checked luggage. I just put each one in a plastic bag, then rolled them in sweatshirts and put them in the middle of the bag. All were undamaged.

OT: After opening one, I agree, Pliny is a bit overrated.

pay the extra and buy the wine shipper boxes. Wrap each bottle in a sock and put in the styro, tape the stryo shut, then pack the box. It's worth the $30 for the reusable box to save the $100 worth of beer and wine.

B

We get rolls of stretch film for wrapping pallets of boxes at work. The tubes they come on are VERY think-walled. I grabbed a couple and plan on trying them out for shipping beer in. It looks like I could get 2 bottles in each one nicely, and pack them well. They would have to run over them with a fork truck to even put a dent in them!

I went to the UPS store and bought a 10" x 10" box with some bubble wrap. I layered the bottom of the box with bubble wrap, then wrapped six bottles individually in the bubble wrap and stood them up in the box. Although the flaps would not come together on top, it was very close. I taped everything up really good then took the box back to the UPS store and bought a 12" x 12" box. I filled the new box with styro peanuts on bottom and put the other box inside of it, then surrounded it with more styro. Closed the box and shipped it 500 miles away. My buddy got the box on Wednesday and said it was perfect. No damage at all. You could've dropped that box from your roof and not damaged the beer. The boxes, bubble wrap and styro cost me about $8.00

Someone once sent me a computer tower and UPS spiked the box right on the corner. It was fairly well packed, and the corner of the case was still crumpled in.

I swear the carriers actually spiked that thing on the street like it was the end zone.

Back