Upright vs Chest Freezers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnyW

Reaction score
Seems to me that since Upright freezer prices are more than double what similarly sized chest freezers are, that chest freezers are the way to go. However, I'm getting ready to pick up a 14.5 Blichmann very soon (I hope) and don't think the chest is going to be even close to convenient if not completely negate the whole reason for having a conical in the first place. Since I had to donate a testicle to fund purchase of said 14.5 Blichmann, I really don't want to shell out any more cash than I ABSOLUTELY have to. So I have been eyeballing my chest freezer and wondering why I can't just put it up on a small stand and stand it up like an upright. If it just had an inch or two clearance, the door would open fine. Is there any reason why this would not work? Or, would it have any long term ill effects on the freezer? Quite the quagmire. Any ideas? IF the consensus is that it should be fine, would it matter which side is up?

i guess this could work.... the only suggestions that I have is to make sure that the compressor gets remounted so that it remains vertical not on it's side... Also I would make sure to raise the edge you will have on the floor a bit so that air can get in and extract some heat from the shell. Other then that, I think it soudl work, it will be intresting to see what otheres have to say on the issue

Even if it does work you'll still have the same downside as an upright and that is the cold will run out everytime you open it. Besides, I don't believe the hinges are designed for that direction of stress. Several members of our local HB club bought used soda pop coolers for their conicals. Most are The sliding door type so they can have the conical on one side and keep the pint glasses, hops and yeast stored on the other side. They usually run around $100.

You will definitely burn up your compressor if you put it on its side. I really wouldn't recommend doing this. If you are going to take the time to re-orient the compressor you might damage something and burn a bunch of time. You would probably be better off taking the time you would have spent on modifying the chest freezer to go out and get a part time job and just make the money that it will cost for a stand-up freezer.

You could build a conical chamber using a chest freezer.

ConicalChamber1.jpg

ConicalChamber2.jpg

That is just purdy :rockin:
Is there any measurable temp loss via the glass panes?

There are fans on the inside to circulate air and the Ranco keeps it in fermenting range easily. No problem with the Plexiglas panels.

Ok, this makes sense. Couple of questions...

1) Keeps within fermentation temps for both lager and ale? What about lagering temps...will it efficiently maintain temps around 34*?
2) Cost of materials
3) How much loss in energy...or gain in heat through the fabricated walls? Any design flaws you wish you would have corrected during construction or lessons learned?

Thanks!

There are fans on the inside to circulate air and the Ranco keeps it in fermenting range easily. No problem with the Plexiglas panels.

You, my friend, have entirely too much time and resources to put to this hobby. Seek help. Quickly.:mug:

so lets get this straight; you have the funds for a 15G conical and all the grain you'll need to keep it filled but you're concerned about saving a few bucks on a freezer? i'm just giving you a hard time! definitely go with the full size freezer. i kept my eyes on craigslist for about a month and found a 22cuft amana (sears i think) for $150. works great. as a 6-tap keezer. the original price sticker was still on the side; $329, IIRC.

Definitely do NOT have the funds for the Blichmann, which is why I had to auction off one of my nads... Actually, I decided to sell a few things on e-bay and my birthday is coming up next week. I don't have the conical bought just yet, but I'm planning on being able to persuade SWMBO in the next day or so. The biggest issue I have, more so than $$ is space. Being active duty keeps us moving around often. Right now our house in hawaii is not exactly roomy. We have a 7.7 cuft deep freeze now in our spare bedroom. My wife actually said she would rather I took that one over and be without than me buy another one... I'm still trying to figure out the logic in that, but she is pregnant and honestly, we just don't have a lot of space. This is one angle I'm planning on going with when it comes to the conical, takes up less space than two carboys and water tubs for temp control. If my math is correct I'll need a freezer with around 7.1 cuft to adequately hold the 14.5 fermenator. I said I'd put it in the shed, she's not keen on that idea either for fear that the heat generated may cause problems. I don't know, she may have a point on that one. Going back to the $$ issue... Who has the lowest price on the Blichmann 14.5 gallon conical? Cheapest I've found is $569. Fermenator Conical Fermenters by Blichmann Engineering The other thing is shipping to HI isn't exactly a popular thing. Apparently no one actually has the fermenator stocked and all orders come from Blichmann. The only option they offer is FedEx ground. Does anybody know any other options, someplace that has them stocked, someone want to sell me theirs, somebody live there that can pick it up and ship it to me via USPS? :confused:

if i was a home brew store i wouldn't stock 'em either. that's a huge hit to your inventory budget. doesn't morebeer sell them? i'd have to guess that if anyone has them in stock they do, and it's probably the cheapest shipping given they're in cali.

Back