Upright (tall) freezer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

Reaction score
Getting ready to purchase an upright freezer to make a keg fridge out of. I have looked at a ton, and I just can't decide what to get. I have looked at used ones, but around here (st. louis), unless you are the first caller - they are gone. So I finially decided that I would just buy a new one that would look good in my bar someday, but I can't decide what size to get.

Anybody out there have some wisdom to share about your experience? Too much space? Too little? Extra space is great for bottles and yeast? Certain MFG and size accomodates a certain number of cornies well....

Thanks! Paul

Not sure if that is such a big deal. Besides, not like the door is going to be open that much...or is it??

How much of a pain the can is it to move deep freeze away from wall because of the towers on the lid?

Thanks! Paul

Check out craigslist.org and click on St. Louis. I just found a 1 year old refridgerator in excellent condition for $75. I get a whole lot of goodies from that classified websight in my area.

Fatboy said:
Not sure if that is such a big deal. Besides, not like the door is going to be open that much...or is it??

How much of a pain the can is it to move deep freeze away from wall because of the towers on the lid?

Thanks! Paul
Huh? I was referring to one that is horizontal (lid on top)not vertical or tower-type (lid in front like a fridge).

Like I said before, opening the door on an upright freezer allows the cold to drop out of the freezer onto the floor. When you close the door the freezer has to build up (or, in this case, down) to the set temperature.

With a horizontal freezer the cold stays inside when the lid is open and the freezer motor will not have to run as often. Better for your electric bill that way.

But, like the guy said, he's looking for our opinion.:D

Well - to clarify, I was talking about mounting a couple of tower-type taps on the lid of the horizontal freezer and was concerned about wall clearance when opening the lid.

Since that thought, I took out a drill, and thought no more. My fridge now has a tapper handle and I will pick up the rest of the kegging outfit tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help.

And yes - the opinions are the reason I come here.

Thanks!!!! Paul

Back