Upright fridge/freezer fermentation chamber-freezer temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtracer

Reaction score
So I have been scouring CL for a used chest freezer or stand-up fridge.
I currently use a Keezer for dispensing.
My question is if I pick up a fridge/freezer combo and externally control the fridge temp to 66(or so) for fermenting, what temp will the freezer be at? I assume most units have one compressor that cools the freezer and transfers chill air to the fridge for cooling.
Anyone with this setup, what do you see?
It would be awesome if the freezer could somehow hold cold temps to store cold bottles ect?

I can offer some information based on the reverse. I use a side by side, but control the freezer and use it as a kegerator. When I have the freezer set at 35F, the fridge is often around 55-58F. This is sitting in my basement at an ambient temp of around 60F.

I use the fridge side for fermentation, but use a fan on a separate controller to pull in cold air from the freezer side when needed.

I have an upright freezer that I use as a kegerator. With a Johnson Controller set anywhere between 36-40F depending on what is in kegs, I have no issues. I have not really tested temps at various levels of the freezer, but just set my temperature gauge pinched between the 2 kegs I have at the midpoint level. And I do store some bottles in there.

Only issue I have is that I do get some condensation building on the inner back wall where the cold air blows in. This then drips and pools at the bottom of the freezer and usually once a month I have to sop up the water. I have a rechargeable Eva Dry dehumidifier in there to help pull in some of the moisture.

Actually one other issue I have, mostly in winter because I am in New England and the freezer is in the basement...is that when it gets real cold out, if the basement gets colder than the set temp, then my temps will drop 2-3 degrees from what they are set at. But don't think you will have than issue in San Fran! :)

Back