Upright freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a keezer. How much do these usually run up the electricity bill? There's an older freezer on craigslist right now for cheap. I'm in an apartment and don't want the bill to go sky high. Would a chest freezer run less? I'm assuming it wouldn't run that much because it would be at beer temp when it was made for freezing. Any info or advice would be awesome.

Can't say how much an upright freezer would cost to operate, but as a reference point, my ~18 year old 10cf chest freezer cost ~$36/year to operate as a 6-faucet keezer (set point 36°F). My brand new 13cf chest freezer draws 25% less running wattage, so I'm expecting the annual cost for it to be around $30. We have one of the highest metered rates in the country so figure anywhere else they would cost somewhat (or a lot) less to run...

Cheers!

I would just buy a new one. They come with electricity usage tag on them. My 7cf GE holds 4 kegs and claims $15/year when set to freezing. It was $130 delivered.

An old stand up freezer will use at least $7/month and could potentially use much more if there is something not working right.

Here are my two cents worth. You should be able to get kegs into a chest freezer without problems. With a collar, you might get more. But with an upright freezer you Ned to be aware of where the cooling coils are. Many older upright freezers have the cooling coils in the non-adjustable shelves. They can't be moved or removed. This may determine if the upright can be used for a keezer or not because the shelves might not permit a keg to stand upright.

Also chest freezers tend to be more efficient simply they contain the cold when you pen the door. On an upright freezer the cold air falls out if the freezer when you open the door.

I would generally recommend that you purchase an appropriately sized chest freezer.

I hope this helps.

Mark

I would just buy a new one. They come with electricity usage tag on them. My 7cf GE holds 4 kegs and claims $15/year when set to freezing. It was $130 delivered.

An old stand up freezer will use at least $7/month and could potentially use much more if there is something not working right.

130 for a new delivered? From where?

Also chest freezers tend to be more efficient simply they contain the cold when you pen the door. On an upright freezer the cold air falls out if the freezer when you open the door.

I would generally recommend that you purchase an appropriately sized chest freezer.

Just to make the counterpoint...

Any keezer is going to be efficient simply because you do not open the door to get a beer, you pull the tap handle on the outside. The cold air can't fall out if the door isn't opened.

I have an upright freezer for my keezer, and love it. I fit four cornies on the floor, and use the top shelf and the shelves in the door to store cans and bottles. An upright will take up less floor space than a chest with the same cubic feet. Weather a chest or upright is easier to get kegs in and out of is probably a personal preference. Being tall, i'm sure the chest keezer would be no problem for me.

I got my freezer on Craigslist for fairly cheap. It isn't very old, so it's fairly efficient. Either way, the money i saved over buying new will buy an awful lot of electricity. Used the coarse adjustment to get it into fridge temps pretty easily. It also has an auto-defrost, which seems to cut down on the moisture in it. As far as drilling through coils, the door won't have any, so you're safe there, and by removing the interior rear panel on mine, i was able to easily identify where coils were on the back and safely drill a hole for a CO2 line.

Overall, i think chest vs. upright and new vs. used both largely come down to personal preference and what is available locally at the time you are looking. With uprights, do be sure you look for one with removable shelves though!

Any electrical device's cost can be calculated with this simple:

Volts x Amps = Watts Mine for example is as follows; 115 x 5.0 = 575.00
Watts x Hours (run per day) x Days =Total Watts 575.00 x 4.8 (runs 12 minutes every hour) x 365 =1,007,400.00
Total Watts divided by 1000 = Kilowatts (Kw) 1,007,400.00 / 1000 = 1,007.40
Kw x your cost per Kw. = Cost to run per year 1,007.40 x .05769 = $ 6.20 per year or $0.52 a month or $0.02 a day.
So if someone offers you their 2 cents take it and your keezer runs for free;)

Back