Upright freezer useful..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I am not a kegger (yet?) but am looking at freezers on craigslist and such.

Currently I see an upright freezer listed.

Is an upright useful at all?

I was thinking lagering chamber..?

It's just as good (perhaps not as roomy or efficient) as a chest freezer. With a johnson or ranco temp controller you can use it as either a lagerator or a keggerator

I've got an upright that I use as a kegerator. You do have to shop around to find one that will work and is big enough. Mine is 20cf and can hold 10 cornies. I have five tapped and five conditioning in it. Smaller uprights would make a nice fermentation fridge if you get a conical. If you are wanting to hold lots of cornies, though, chest freezers are usually cheaper and easier to find.

beerbuddy said:
On some upright freezers the shelves are not movable.
That's my first thought as well, that the cooling elements are often integrated into the shelves.

The other issue with an upright is that the cold air inside will "fall" out every time the door is opened, making it harder to maintain your temperature. Of course this isn't a problem with a chest freezer.

So yeah, it can still be useful, just be aware of the limitations.

BlindLemonLars said:
That's my first thought as well, that the cooling elements are often integrated into the shelves.

The shelves can usually be carefully bent out of the way. The previous owners of my last house left an old working upright freezer in the basement, and I did just that (after asking here at HBT if anyone had a similar experience...several did). Worked fine as a kegerator with some additional storage space for yeats, etc.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get one (as others have mentioned, chest freezers are better for a lot of reasons). But if you get a good deal, it's workable.

chest freezer pros:

1. Doesn't lose cold air when opened
2. a 20' chest may hold more cornies than a 20' upright
3. more common / easier to find
4. May be cheaper

chest freezer cons

1. a 20' chest take up considerably more floorspace than a 20' or larger upright
2. more difficult to lift carboys or cornies into and out of
3. more extensive modifications needed for kegerator ( needs a collar)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

upright pros

1. easier to put stuff in and take stuff out
2. takes up less floor space
(a 25' upright take up no more floor space than an 8' chest)
3. easier to modify for kegerator (no collar to build)

upright cons

1. loses cold air when opened
( this can be partially offset by having the freezer fully loaded thereby increasing the thermal mass and also making less air available to fall out and / or installing a slotted plastic curtian behind the door.
2. may be be harder to find
3. may hold less than a comparible sized chest
4. may be more expensive

others may want to add to the list but this may help you make a decision.

abracadabra said:
chest freezer pros:

1. Doesn't lose cold air when opened
2. a 20' chest may hold more cornies than a 20' upright
3. more common / easier to find

chest freezer cons

1. a 20' chest take up considerably more floorspace than a 20' or larger upright
2. more difficult to lift carboys or cornies into and out of
3. more extensive modifications needed for kegerator ( needs a collar)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

upright pros

1. easier to put stuff in and take stuff out
2. takes up less floor space
(a 25' upright take up no more floor space than an 8' chest)
3. easier to modify for kegerator (no collar to build)

upright cons

1. loses cold air when opened
( this can be partially offset by having the freezer fully loaded thereby increasing the thermal mass and also making less air available to fall out and / or installing a slotted plastic curtian behind the door.
2. maybe be harder to find
3. may hold less than a comparible sized chest

others may want to add to the list but this may help you make a decision.

Goodness a 20' freezer:eek: hold alot of stuff haha.
I was wondering if it would be possible to lay the upright on its back to make it a chest freezer?

Passload said:
I was wondering if it would be possible to lay the upright on its back to make it a chest freezer?

No you can't lay an upright freezer down to make it a chest freezer. In fact you never want to lay an upright freezer on it's side or back. The coolant will get mixed with the oil from the compressor and potentially ruin it.

jdoiv said:
No you can't lay an upright freezer down to make it a chest freezer. In fact you never want to lay an upright freezer on it's side or back. The coolant will get mixed with the oil from the compressor and potentially ruin it.

Well then thats another con against the upright. I think if you can get it really cheep go for it. Otherwise IMO save for a chest.

Uprights are good for people who have limited floor space. That's why I picked up one. It was more expensive than a chest freezer but it fits my needs the best.

jdoiv said:

Even during transport, with a long system OFF period before and after the move..?

beergears said:
Even during transport, with a long system OFF period before and after the move..?

Yes, If possible keep it upright at all times. It might not kill it but it could.

If it's transported sideways let if stand in the upright position for a day or so.

Passload said:

Im going to say no to the supine freezer idea, the compresser wouldnt work right, and would shorten the life dramaticaly. thats why you should alwas leave a recently tiped frige standing upright for 24 hours before plugging in.

But, couldn't you relocate the compressor, etc.? You know, even though the freezer is on it's back, doesn't mean you can't turn the compressor 90 degrees and make it work like a chest freezer, right? (I'm speaking hypthetically here. I've never done it, or even taken a good look at one).

I'd imagine all one would have to do is carefully bend a few lines, and rig up the parts in a nice stable position. Seems possible....

Homercidal said:
But, couldn't you relocate the compressor, etc.? You know, even though the freezer is on it's back, doesn't mean you can't turn the compressor 90 degrees and make it work like a chest freezer, right? (I'm speaking hypthetically here. I've never done it, or even taken a good look at one).

I'd imagine all one would have to do is carefully bend a few lines, and rig up the parts in a nice stable position. Seems possible....

No. you really couldn't. I don't think it would be as simple as "bending a few lines" but rather cutting, adding new ones and reconnecting them. And, once you do that, it's no longer viable since closed coolant systems like a fridge/freezer will never function properly again.

Not to mention, the two systems are designed very specifically for the different freezers, so even if you were able to relocate the compressor and coolant lines, it still wouldn't function properly.

Well, I didn't mean to cut the lines, but just bend them a little so that you could rotate the parts so they are upright while the freezer was layed on it's back. As far as I know, AC systems should function just fine either way, as long as certain parts are upright. I'll as a friend of mine, who does AC R&D for a living.

And, yes you can cut the lines and still make a perfectly working fridge/freezer, but I would not recommend the average person to do it, because it takes special tools to recharge them, even after you've properly fitted the lines again.

There is no doubt that modifying a freezer might require a little creativity and/or custom modifications. I'm beginning to think that we don't use our freezer for storing foods enough to make it worthwhile to use as a freezer... I can think of one or two other uses though! ;)

Back