Upright freezer leaking water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

RachEAlex

Reaction score
I just added an analog Johnson controller to a an upright Kenmore 20 frostless freezer I had in my basement. I plugged the freezer into the controller, the controller into the wall and the probe is inside freezer and I've managed to hold a pretty much constant temp. My problem is on the bottom of the door there is what looks like a drainage hole and water is is leaking from there like crazy, leaving a puddle on the floor. I put a cup under it, but just want to make sure 1. Is that normal and 2. Is there anyway to resolve it...

I tried searching for an answer, but didn't find one...any help will be much appreciated!

OP
R

RachEAlex

Reaction score
On the bottom rim of the freezer door there are two round holes that when I poke my finger in them have a plastic thing in them. One of the holes is where the yellowish water is leaking from. The freezer has been inside for as long as I can remember...

OP
R

RachEAlex

Reaction score
I thought it might condensation after reading another post, but there isn't any condensation inside the freezer. And when I look at the bottom of the door, the water is dripping straight out of the whole. The freezer is 8 years old and I no longer have the manual to see what purpose the two "holes" serve...sorry!

OP
R

RachEAlex

Reaction score
Think I figured it out! I think it is condensation that builds up in between the panel on door and outer door, the hole it's coming out of is a drainage hole of some sort...sound plausible? I put a bucket of DampRid, we'll see if this works!

mattd2

Reaction score
Think I figured it out! I think it is condensation that builds up in between the panel on door and outer door, the hole it's coming out of is a drainage hole of some sort...sound plausible? I put a bucket of DampRid, we'll see if this works!
Sounds plausable, has it been very humid where you are lately?

OP
R

RachEAlex

Reaction score
It's been dry and sunny here, up until today. Which is odd, Cape Cod springs are usually pretty damp!