upping the BAC%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrobo56

Reaction score
ok ive been playing dextros and stuff trying to make a strong beer (larger) trying 2 get it up abd around 8% does any1 have any tips, methods, or how much dextros i should add? all help would be greatly aprechaited. thx in advanced

I get the impression your BAC is already pretty high! :drunk:

Now if you're trying to increase your ABV, obviously more fermentables translates to more alcohol. There are also "turbo" yeasts available that have a very high tolerance to alcohol. Mind you, you're likely to end up with something most people would consider undrinkable. In this forum, people are far more concerned with brewing high quality, well balanced beer, and that is the kind of expertise that can be found here.

Don't listen to them. Hops and malt are old skool. All you really need to make beer is sugar, water, and yeast. Anybody who tells you otherwise is being an EAC!!! For more beer flavor though, you can add a can of Miller High Life. That's basically like beer flavoring.

:drunk:

Sir Humpsalot said:
Don't listen to them. Hops and malt are old skool. All you really need to make beer is sugar, water, and yeast. Anybody who tells you otherwise is being an EAC!!! For more beer flavor though, you can add a can of Miller High Life. That's basically like beer flavoring.

:drunk:

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Miller High Life!!

I thought that was the BEST beer in the world...when i was 15:D

As my brother said,

"There is to much blood in my alcohol system".

He ment to say it the other way around concerning driving. It did however get the point across. :)

You don't need to add any dextrose, sucrose - table sugar, corn sugar, whatever - to your beer in order to achieve 8%. Use more grain or more malt extract. Obviously you'll need a yeast that can handle 8% ABV, but I would say that is most strains.

Some styles do use 1-1.5lb (usually) sugar, invert (candi) sugar, etc. and it increases the ABV, lightens the body (b/c it ferments dry), without effecting flavor too much. Normally though, ppl try to avoid adding plain old sugar to their beer recipes.

AGBrewer said:
I see a ban and thread closure coming on

Why? Because someone mentioned raising the alcohol content? Some styles REQUIRE higher malt (and alcohol) contents in order to be balanced... like the IIPA and trois pistoles I just made. How about banning everyone and closing all of the threads regarding eds apfelwein... on no we put in 2# of dextrose to bump the alcohol content up past 7%. We instantly have become immature college students again. :rolleyes: In fact, I don't have anything in primary now thats under 7.2%... and that Trois Pistoles is going to be 10.5%!!!! Man.. I must really want to get banned or something???

mrobo56: 1# of dextrose per 5 gallons should raise the SG by around 0.010 and its virtually 100% fermentable so you will end up with a dry product.

trying 2 get it up abd around 8%
As others have said, you can add more fermentables to give the yeast more to chew on (or, for that matter, pour a couple of bottles of Everclear in the finished product) but -- while I've never tried it -- I expect it would be tough in either case to come out with a decent tasting beer.

Might I suggest instead that you make a great tasting beer and then have a beer and a shot. You end up with an overall higher average ABV and have decent taste on both (depending on your beer-making skills and the shot).

I also suggest the above be done when no driving is planned.

Rick

sirsloop said:
Why? Because someone mentioned raising the alcohol content? Some styles REQUIRE higher malt (and alcohol) contents in order to be balanced... like the IIPA and trois pistoles I just made. How about banning everyone and closing all of the threads regarding eds apfelwein... on no we put in 2# of dextrose to bump the alcohol content up past 7%. We instantly have become immature college students again. :rolleyes: In fact, I don't have anything in primary now thats under 7.2%... and that Trois Pistoles is going to be 10.5%!!!! Man.. I must really want to get banned or something???

No, it's because the poster is under 21. However, since the OP does NOT live in the US, and since making alcohol is legal at his age where he is located, it's ok.

When people underage inquire about hooch making, they will be not invited to participate any longer on HBT. I'm sure that's what he was referring to!

Anyway, I'm more into tasty beer than being concerned with the ABV. You can make really good beer that is "bigger" but it's not really as easy as taking a regular beer recipe and adding more sugar. If you give us an idea as to what products you are planning on using (hopped extract, no-boil extract, dry extract, etc) we could give you some better advice.

Because someone mentioned raising the alcohol content? Some styles REQUIRE higher malt (and alcohol) contents in order to be balanced

Yeah, but do you think the OP was really after a nicely balanced beer? A nicely balanced, well designed 10% ABV beer isn't something you typically quaff by the truckload; it's a sipping beer.

Maybe I'm wrong about the OP's intent (and, if so, I apologize), but if a GDQ* beverage is what someone is after taking the trouble to craft and make a bad-tasting beer doesn't make nearly the sense as just buying off the shelf hard stuff and sucking it down. But, then again, I'm old and grumpy. I'd be an EAC if I had the required beer-making skill set.

Rick

*GDQ: Get Drunk Quick (say, 195 Everclear)

true... the pistoles is pretty much a belgian barleywine :)

Lol... I just realized the thread subject had BAC%! AHAHAHAH!!! You don't add more sugar to get a higher blood alcohol content... you just drink more.

sirsloop said:
true... the pistoles is pretty much a belgian barleywine :)

Lol... I just realized the thread subject had BAC%! AHAHAHAH!!! You don't add more sugar to get a higher blood alcohol content... you just drink more.
You'll have to excuse me I didn't look at where he was from only that he is only 20
Have you settled down?

mrobo56 said:
ok ive been playing dextros and stuff trying to make a strong beer (larger) trying 2 get it up abd around 8% does any1 have any tips, methods, or how much dextros i should add? all help would be greatly aprechaited. thx in advanced
Give us some recipe details, and we'll help you make a better/stronger beer.

A quick tip for the forum:
Please make some attempt at using the shift key and spell check. Your writing style is extremely difficult to read.

Would any one like to write a definitive article for the WIKI on how to increase the ABV of Beer/Hooch and we can put it in the wiki.

Maybe do a TXT talk thingy for people who txtx tlk! ANY1?

LOL! He's probably too hung over to post. Say, wasn't there talk of creating a "hooch" thread on here a while back?

To increase bal, I usually ditch the brew and go straight for the distilled stuff. I don't quite think I've made it to 8.0% yet, but it doesn't take long to blow right by the .08% legal limit here in Pennsylvania :cross:

thanks for all the advice, yes i am not over 21, im 19 and im from Australia :)
the recipie i last used was a can of larger brew, 1.3KG of dextros 200g of malt (but i was thinking about not useing malt on the next one) and normal 5g yest packet. and i use a 25L fermenter then when fermented put in a keg and gas it.
once again thx guys

Back