Upgrading to larger diameter Dual Faucet Tower, Should I drill new holes in my Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
I've decided to upgrade the tower on my Haier Kegerator, however I noticed the new tower I purchased is 3 inches in diameter rather than 2 inches. Will I be ok drilling new mounting holes in the top of the kegerator? If so, what size drill bit is preferred?

There's some danger you'll destroy a refrigerant line. An adapter plate could allow attachment without this risk. 2 inches could limit airflow to cool the tower, but skinny EVAbarrier beer line helps.

I've just looked at a haier manual on manualslib.com [ Haier HBF05EBSS - Draft Beer Dispenser Manuals | ManualsLib ] and if your model is anything like that, the very valid risk @sibelman just posted shouldn't be a concern, but only if you know where the coils are for certain. Most (but not all) commercially available kegerators conform to a standard 4-screw pattern for tower mounting. I'm not sure how well this image will show but:
IMG_1345.jpg

This is a standard beer tower and the holes appear to be 3-3/4" apart.
Perhaps if you post a pic of your model, or look it up by model number we can get some certainty. Also as @sibelman mentioned, the smaller hole will limit airflow so finding out if you have the rear internal evaporator vs. coils in the housing will tell you if you can safely enlarge it.
:mug:

Apologies!!! I said above 3-3/4" ...I just double checked and I should have said 2-3/4".
Here's a better pic:
IMG_1346.jpg

[the part of my brain that does math, numbers and quantities as well as cognitive 3D modelling was destroyed in 2014...I still make obvious mistakes..hope the photo helps]

Back