Upgrading the gear: keg or kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
I know this probably should be in the equipment section, but I am newer to brewing and everything so I thought I would post it here. Anyways, I can buy a regular sized keg from my buddy for $20. I would have to buy the ball value and sight glass if i want them, but with a kettle it is all done for me and I do not have to worry about missing it up.

So is it worth saving the money and going for the keg and doing it all myself? It sounds fun, I made my own IC, I just do not want to miss it up.

Any inputs would be helpful. How hard is it to make a keggle? And are they better or just as good as kettles?

Cheers :mug:

Personally I would go for a keggel. That's what we did and it has worked great. Not to mention it was fun to make. We have not yet installed a sight gauge but probably will soon. We had got the keg for free, so with handles and spout and everything else it cost about 30 bucks. Not bad considering the 15 gallon kettle we were looking at was $210! I think they look cooler too. Haha.

Back