Upgrading equipment for the budget-conscious brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinness10

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a beginner brewer, just 2 batches under my belt thus far, and I'm already looking to upgrade some pieces of my brewing kit.

I currently have a 5 gallon aluminum kettle, so can't really do full volume boils, and don't have a wort chiller.

Northern Brewer is selling this 7.5 gal kettle and burner kit, which I know is not going to be of the highest quality, but the price is right to help me get quick full-volume boils.

I could also pick up a stainless steel immersion chiller and all three items would (barely) fit my current budget.

The other option would be to go for a better quality/more expensive kettle up front, but maybe not have enough for either a chiller or burner after that.

So what does anyone think - upgrade more pieces of the brewing kit, even if they're not the highest quality (or even mid-range quality), or shoot for quality right out of the gate, even though that may mean not having something like a wort chiller (which seems like it might be pretty indispensible if doing a full-volume, 5 gal boil)?

Thanks for your time and opinions!

Pot 40qt Pot 60qt (I vote this if you can swing an extra 10$)
Burner

Chiller

All better all cheaper and you wont have to buy a new pot when you upgrade to all grain. However temperature control is extremely important especially with summer around the corner it is by far the best thing you can do to make better beer. You can go as cheap spare bathtub with ice in it to fermentation chambers but I would highly consider looking into it if you don't have something already.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your low on cash just remember most homebrewing equipment is just re purposed from something else and if you shop for the original item its much cheaper most the time.
Boil Kettle = stock pot
Burner = Turkey fryer
Wort Chiller = Copper tubing
Check the DIY section too tons of help in making almost all of this stuff there.

For real about the DIY section.

Look into converting a keg for a kettle. I can do 5 or 10 gallon batches because of this. The 7.5 gallon one would be just big enough for a proper all grain setup. I usually boil about 7.5 gallons for a regular 5 gallon batch. It's really just not big enough. If there is any inkling that you may ever do a 10 gallon batch, go big now. Kegs are a cheaper option and it even has built in handles. I'm glad I did right off the bat. Drilled some holes. Ball valve. Thermometer. Done. Ended up spending around $100 total for a 15.5 gallon pot.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Pot 40qt Pot 60qt (I vote this if you can swing an extra 10$)
Burner

Chiller

All better all cheaper and you wont have to buy a new pot when you upgrade to all grain. However temperature control is extremely important especially with summer around the corner it is by far the best thing you can do to make better beer. You can go as cheap spare bathtub with ice in it to fermentation chambers but I would highly consider looking into it if you don't have something already.

Thanks for the link to the kettle.
I ordered the 10 gallon, should be here in a couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally suggest in order:
Getting to a full boil first, cheap pots and burners are fine. My first Kettle and current HLT were a $30 turkey fryer I got after thanksgiving. A valve is really nice but can be added.
Wort Chiller
Fermentation temperature control
All grain, although it may be worth going this way earlier if your budget is tight. You can save a lot on ingredients by placing bulk orders, but the initial outlay can get steep.

Best of luck to you

If I were starting over and on a budget, I would do a thick aluminum pot off amazon, a burner found cheap on homebrewfinds, and a do it yourself chiller. Good recommendation above.

If there is one piece of advice I have on kettles is buy 10+ gallons. After years of dealing with a 9 gallon pot a new 16 gallon pot is on its way.

Back