Upgrade opinions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm getting some decent overtime on my next pay check. I could pay off some credit debt, yes - or I could buy new brewing equipment. The answer is obvious.

I've got about $200 to blow, and I really need a burner for 5 gallon batches so I can move my operation outside and get off the stove top. Full boils in the kitchen take FOREVER.

I've already got:
Your standard "deluxe brewing kit" and all it comes with
5 gal. Better Bottle
Immersion Chiller
Grain mill
Fermentation chamber
10 gal Igloo MLT
Too many empty bottles

I would like to start kegging, how far can I get into with ~$140?? Two taps would be cool, three would be ideal.

I think the best you could manage for kegging would be a two party tap system.

Instead I'm going to suggest just getting the burner and a used craigslist refrigerator to start fixing up. By the time you get it home, maybe sand and repaint, get a controller, do a collar etc... I'm guessing the money will be gone.

Warning. Responsible answer.

Pay off your credit debt. Once you stop paying interest on that you can buy much more brewing equipment.

Awww mosquito control....what a buzz kill :cross:...but you are right, pay off the credit card, you'll have plenty of opportunities to pick up brewing stuff in the future.

Maybe I'll just get the burner and put the rest toward debt. I suppose I can bottle a while longer, haha.

To make you feel better. I didn't listen to my own advice. But jumping to kegging will definitely tally 3x $200.

I'd say start splitting overtime 50/50. Half towards debt half towards fun. Save up for kegging in the near future.

To make you feel better. I didn't listen to my own advice. But jumping to kegging will definitely tally 3x $200.

I'd say start splitting overtime 50/50. Half towards debt half towards fun. Save up for kegging in the near future.

You mean people get paid for overtime? I am in the wrong line of work!

I do agree, paying off the debt is the better choice... however, its tough to do when you still want to play. Buying the burner and the rest to debt is still a very responsible decision! You can pick up a new burner from Amazon (sq-14) for pretty darn cheap with free shipping (if you cannot find one on craigslist).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back