Updated my IPA recipe - brewing it today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
So this was the original recipe - Designing my first IPA from scratch

I found that it was too dark for what I was looking for and while it tasted delicious, it was also a little on the "heavy" side (if that makes sense). I guess I was looking for a crisper flavor. So I changed the DME and LME ingredients to get a lighter color. the CBW RYE LME had a Lovibond value of 8 L
The Brewers Best Extra Light LME I chose for this one has has a Lovibond value of 3 L. The DME I chose this time (CBW Pilsen Light) should help bring that crisp golden color I was looking for. Here is the full recipe as it stands today.

1 Lb. Chateau Cara Blond
6.6 Lbs Brewers Best Extra Light LME
1 Lb CBW Pilsen Light
1 pkg America West Coast Ale Yeast
2 oz. Citra hops
2 oz Cascade hops
1 oz Amarillo hops

Recipe:
Start steeping Chateau Cara blond at flame on (3 gallons of distilled water) - this is a 5 gallon batch.
Bring to 170 degrees and maintain for 30 minutes.
Remove the grain and flame out.
Mix in the DME and LME until absorbed.
Turn flame back on and bring to a boil
Add 1 oz Citra hops when boil begins
Add 1 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes into boil
Add 1 oz Cascade hops at 45 minutes into boil
Flameout at 60 minutes into boil
Add 1 oz Citra hops at flameout
Add yeast to wort when it cools down to 70 degrees

Dry hop 1 oz Amarillo hops 5 days into fermentation (single fermenter throughout)
Bottle at 2 weeks with 4 oz sugar

I'm hoping this will make it lighter. I also noticed at 2 weeks that the beer was slightly sweeter than I would have expected so using 4 oz sugar instead of 4.5 to carbonate

Last edited:
I'm hoping this will make it lighter.

Extra light / pilsen DME/LME is a good choice when color is a consideration. Beer clarity will also help with perceived color.

For the next time you brew this, consider doing "late additions" of the DME/LME. A 30 minute boil (rather than a 60 minute) would also help. Both changes can be make using recipe software without impacting the final result (other than positive impacts on color). Many people will start with 25% of the DME/LME at the start of the boil and add the rest at the end of the boil.

Extra light / pilsen DME/LME is a good choice when color is a consideration. Beer clarity will also help with perceived color.

For the next time you brew this, consider doing "late additions" of the DME/LME. A 30 minute boil (rather than a 60 minute) would also help. Both changes can be make using recipe software without impacting the final result (other than positive impacts on color). Many people will start with 25% of the DME/LME at the start of the boil and add the rest at the end of the boil.

What is the benefit to adding it later?

This is my first IPA attempt - as you can see - too dark but the hop schedule is honestly awesome I think. Nice bitterness to it without overdoing it and vary flavorful and aromatic. :)

Attachments

• Bobs IPA.jpg
    Bobs IPA.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 21
Good article. Thanks. I'll see how this one comes out. If it's still dark/darkish to what I'm looking for I'll def. give this a try.

Closer but still want it to be lighter so off we go to the late extract method. :)

Attachments

• ipa 2.jpg
    ipa 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back