Update SS Pot for boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheYoshi

Reaction score
I'm new here but not to homebrew, it's been a few years and my old forum seems to have gone defunct (a shame).

Anyway, looking around and setting myself up with a new system since it's been a few years. Carboys, and some other stuff is still around but I'll be kegging, and going AG (was just doing extract before) so some new gear is in order.

The question at hand is what is thought of these pots:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/60-qt-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-stockpot-with-cover/922SSPOT60.html

Seems solid to me, and I have the retail arm of this website locally so it would be easy to swing by and grab one. To be honest the heavy SS/Alum "sandwich" on the bottom seems appealing to me from a temp control/scorching prevention perspective.

I did some searching but didn't see anyone mentioning these at all so I thought I'd check.

- Josh

I have several of the Update pots. I've used them for brewing, frying chickens, etc. They are quality pots and pretty easy to drill for adding valves, thermo's etc. Same pot that some online shops sell under a different name for brewing.

i've boiled a 10 gallon batch in my 60 qt and never even came close to boiling over.

B

What's your pre-boil volume? I collect ~14 gallons in my 60 quart pot and it comes withing an inch of the top rim of the pot. I use a ton of Fermcap-S and I still can't keep it from boiling over occasionally.

Maybe it would be fine if you're only collecting 12 gallons for your 10 gallon batch, but I like to have at least 11 gallons in the fermenter so I can be sure that I'll completely fill two kegs with every batch.

What's your pre-boil volume? I collect ~14 gallons in my 60 quart pot and it comes withing an inch of the top rim of the pot. I use a ton of Fermcap-S and I still can't keep it from boiling over occasionally.

Maybe it would be fine if you're only collecting 12 gallons for your 10 gallon batch, but I like to have at least 11 gallons in the fermenter so I can be sure that I'll completely fill two kegs with every batch.

I do 11 gallon batches all the time in my Keggle. Only boilover was the one time I used pellets and had a hop eruption. Going with a 20 gallon gallon pot however is a good idea if you have the space and cash for it.

I do 11 gallon batches all the time in my Keggle. Only boilover was the one time I used pellets and had a hop eruption. Going with a 20 gallon gallon pot however is a good idea if you have the space and cash for it.

I just got the B3 26 gallon kettle so I could have plenty of peace of mind and do 15 or 20 gallon batches, if necessary.

Latest posts

Back