Update on my brews...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UdderJuice

Reaction score
Well my batch of Pale Ale came out pretty darn good. It was a little yeasty but I thnk that flavor can be diminshed through aging and even might be desirable in some lagers and souts I plan on making.

Total time in the fermenter was 8 days, total time carbonating was 7 days with 2 day in cold storage. The longer you let it chill the less bitter it becomes. The alcohol content comes out pretty low though when you use just beer mix and booster. More on that in a minute.

The batch I have carbonating now is the Nut Brown mix with a pack of booster. I'm not sure how it will come out as I used Hydrogen Peroxide to sanitize and noticed a rotten egg smell coming out of the fermenter when I pitched. Not sure what that was all about. Also I melted some of the booster to the bottom of my pot. Anyway, we'll see how it turns out.

The batch that's fermenting as we speak is a batch of Nut Brown mix and Mellow Amber malt for my first all malt brew. It looked and smelled lovely as it cooked and foamed up real nice after pitching so I'm really lookinf forward to trying it out.

My next batch will be my first original recipe. Nut Brown mix and Creamy Dark malt with some Williamette hops and a pack of booster for more alcohol punch.

I'll be back to let you know how they all turn out. So far though I am having great fun.

I will give you 5-to-1 odds he is a Mr. Beer user and that is West Coast Pale Ale that came with his Mr. Beer kit. The key giveaway word in his post is "booster."

I think you will find, Udderjuice, that the all-malt versions come out much better than the mix plus booster.

How did you come up with that recipe that combines Mr. beer Mix and dark malt and booster as well? there are better ways to boost alcohol content.

richanne said:
I will give you 5-to-1 odds he is a Mr. Beer user and that is West Coast Pale Ale that came with his Mr. Beer kit. The key giveaway word in his post is "booster."

I think you will find, Udderjuice, that the all-malt versions come out much better than the mix plus booster.

How did you come up with that recipe that combines Mr. beer Mix and dark malt and booster as well? there are better ways to boost alcohol content.

Yep, I am a Mr Beer user and so far am pleased with the ease and convience of the system and the flexibility to experiment. And yes thats the West Coast Pale Ale mix that came with the kit.

I am looking forward to the all malt batch that is in the fermenter now. The krausen head that formed on my all malt brew was much thicker and richer looking than the ones made with booster.

As far as the recipe that combines Mr. beer Mix and dark malt and booster, I just made it up based on the alcohol percentages that the Mr Beer guide book says you'll get from their various ingredients.

With the Englishman's Nut Brown, to stay true to color and style, it would be better to use amber liquid malt extract. If you use 2 pounds (instead of the 1.2 lb. can that Mr. Beer sells), you will get more alcohol content without sacrificing malt flavor. You can buy 2 pounds of amber liquid malt extract at a home brew shop for around $4 to $5 (bring your own container). Save the dark malt for a stout.
Anne Brady
Brady's Home Brew

richanne said:
With the Englishman's Nut Brown, to stay true to color and style, it would be better to use amber liquid malt extract. If you use 2 pounds (instead of the 1.2 lb. can that Mr. Beer sells), you will get more alcohol content without sacrificing malt flavor. You can buy 2 pounds of amber liquid malt extract at a home brew shop for around $4 to $5 (bring your own container). Save the dark malt for a stout.
Anne Brady
Brady's Home Brew

I was trying to produce a dark, chocolaty beer that still had some amber qualities sort of along the lines of Newcastle, you don't suggest the Creamy Brown malt? What would be a good beer mix to use with the Creamy Brown? I have some of their Octoberfest Vienna Lager mix on the way but I was planning on using Golden Wheat malt with that.

Back