unusual help needed for low alcohol beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a beer that has the same purpose as the very first beers in history. Not recipies, just purpose. In the past beer was used not for recreation but as a food and nutrition source. No I'm not looking for healthy beer.

Here is the requirements for this brew. Low ABV I'm thinking below 2%, maybe as high as 2.5%. Big body, filling, source of carbs, fiber, and would help give energy. I brew all grain so first off I'm thinking obviously mash high, I'm thinking ~158 degrees. Using equal parts barley, oats, and wheat. Very low IBUs.

I want to come up with something that can last in bottles for several years. I know hops have preserving qualities, what is the best way to take advantage of that. Also what else can I use?

I'm not looking at brewing this in the immediate future. But I do think it would be good to drink while working outside in the summer.

Thanks
Marcus

You want a historical saison! Or maybe a gose, which has a bit of a Gatorade vibe.. Alcohol, acid and salt are all excellent preservatives, although at the levels we're talking about, none will deter Brett, Pedio or Lacto. So what you want more than anything is impeccable sanitation and the lowest-attenuating yeast available, which may be some sort of wine yeast.

I plan to use some Wyeast farm house ale yeast I have washed from a tank 7 clone. So that would put it in the class of a saision.

Getting ready for that zombie apocalypse, are ya?

Well yes and no. I was raised to be ready for any event that may happen. But I think it would be great to have a beer on hand that could take the place of a meal in a time of need. More than likely this will just be brewed as a beverage for while I'm working at the Family land cutting down trees and clearing paths and I'm to busy to stop and eat. If I find a good recipe that does what I want I will likely Put up a few cases away just in case the dead decide to walk again.

Back