Unusual grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alvinBrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just getting into homebrewing (done 2 brews - well one plus the hefeweizen currently in the fermenter) I have learnt a lot from reading here and now getting to a point where I can hopefully contribute.

Hopefully someone could share their expertise. Long story short I went to get some grain for a dunkelweizen but as they were rushing the store got the quantity wrong and confused the pilsner and wheat quantities. The below is what I currently have, I don't want to throw it away and was wondering what beer i could brew with it. I had a look in the forums and cant find anything similar (and played around in Brewtarget software too but don't know how to use). The grain was for a 7 Litre batch.

1kg (54%) Pilsner
420g (26%) Wheat malt
280g (15%) Munich malt light
60g (3%) Special B
60g (3%) Cara amber (Crystal 40)
20g (1%) Carafa special I

Really appreciate any suggestions. Just to note I don't have temperature control so can't do any lagers. Am open to getting some new yeast and hops (I was going to reuse the hefe 3068 yeast and have some saaz). I use BIAB

thanks in advance!

It might turn out a bit different than what you originally planned but that doesn't mean it can't or won't taste good.

I made a similar beer using WB-06 dry yeast and at Christmas it was a pretty big hit.

Not that I have a lot more experience that you (having done 3 brews), but I'd drop the Pilsner down to 420g with a full body mash and I suspect that you'd have a very nice mild/session beer.

Thanks all, will look into your suggestions.

I have tried Trappist beer (Chimay, Rochefort) but I can't really drink too much of that so was thinking something a little less strong so my wife would drink too.

Unfortunately the grain is milled together fat-buddha so I can't change the quantities.

Back