Unusual cloud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tx6686

Reaction score
So I finished up my first BIAB yesterday and it was a blonde ale with 2 row and and crystal malt . Process was completed at 9 last night . I used white labs California ale wlop051. OG was also low was supposed to be 1.05 and came out to 1.042 .Fermentation hasn't started yet and I also noticed this weird cloud what is going on???!!!

image.jpg

Since I use a bucket fermenter, I don't get to see this kind of thing. But I've seen similar photos on this forum, and they're said to not be anything to worry about. Sorry I can't give you a better answer, but maybe some others will answer.

When I was using the wort chiller and entered it in the pot saw a mirky cloud come up to surface which didn't seem like w typical sediment cloud . Thinking it had to do with something that went wrong in my brewing process .

I say let it ride, let's see where it goes. Think of it as a science project - you can log it and post the pics daily :D

it's just cold break material... proteins and what not. Did you dump all the kettle trub into the carboy? Probably just got resuspended and is now coagulated again.

I usually no-chill/overnight-chill and I've seen this type of blob in my full-trub worts. It'll get eaten up by the yeast or drop out at the end. Nothing to worry about.

As @ncbrewer stated, there've been a few similar photos pop up from time to time. It's all good. RDWHAHB!
:mug:

I tasted the wort when I got my OG reading and of course tasted sweet but no off flavor. I siphoned out of the kettle so i didn't dump everything . It's my first time doing BIAB so not sure if excess grains might have came out of bag not quite sure . Still waiting for yeast to start kicking I don't see any bubbles yet but it is still early so hopefully it will start up sometime soon . And with that hopefully breaks up that freaky looking stuff lol

If this was your first all-grain beer, you may not be used to all the extra protein that you really don't see as much with extract. As has already been said, that looks like protein break material to me. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. It'll settle to the bottom. Only way it's an issue is if you leave the beer on it for a long time (extra lipids can cause long term stability reduction), or if you want to repitch the yeast (as all that protein will get in the way and is best separated out).

I haven't really seen signs of fermentation yet. So I'm hoping to see something soon .

Here's the update . Fermentation got rolling right around 11 today. So good fermentation within 36 hourse . Here's the updated picture

image.jpg

I still think it's cold break, from the look of those chunks. No sweat...:mug:

I would have to agree that weird looking stuff is no longer there just bunch of chunks floating around with the yeasts having their fun

Back