Unscented Soap for General Cleaning of Brewing Items

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
After a typical brew day, unless there is some really bad grime up in my carboys or in a kettle, I typically just use really hot water from my sink and dish soap (looking for unscented). Is this good enough when it comes to cleaning before the next brew and prior to sanitizing? I like PBW but the stuff isn't cheap and I get annoyed of having to put my gloves on over and over again trying not to get it on my skin... Should I be using something instead? I was thinking about One Step Cleaner or trying to find an alternative if dish soap isn't sufficient.

**Sorry if there is a thread on this but I couldn't find anything directly related

I use either unscented oxi clean or unscented dish soap (something like 7th generation or what ever it's called).

If you want to avoid the PBW/chemicals, then oxi clean free or 7th gen is the way to go as Murphy noted.

I'll add that I use 7th generation unscented to wash my kettle and bottling bucket. Must not cause any problems as I have won a few awards!

I also BIAB and wash my bags in the laundry with fragrance free detergent without any softener.

My wife is allergic to fragrance which is pretty much in everything from dish soap, dish detergent, etc. etc.

So pretty much all of our standard household products are fragrance free.

Whatever you use it is always important to rinse well.

You should be able to find 7th generation at most grocery stores. Our Kroger's always has it.

I'll add that I use 7th generation unscented to wash my kettle and bottling bucket. Must not cause any problems as I have won a few awards!

I also BIAB and wash my bags in the laundry with fragrance free detergent without any softener.

My wife is allergic to fragrance which is pretty much in everything from dish soap, dish detergent, etc. etc.

So pretty much all of our standard household products are fragrance free.

Whatever you use it is always important to rinse well.

You should be able to find 7th generation at most grocery stores. Our Kroger's always has it.

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seventh-...75035&wl11=online&wl12=14914720&wl13=&veh=sem

Back