Unsanitized carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chet Ripley

Reaction score
Made a pale ale last Saturday. I got called away while getting ready to rack to the carboy. Came back 20 minutes later and started the transfer only to remember at the end that while I had cleaned and rinsed the carboy, I never sanitized it. At that point there was nothing I could do other than pitch the yeast and hope for the best. Had fermentation activity the next morning. By Tuesday the activity was mostly over and the krausen had dropped. The first gravity check was last night and it was on target at 1.012. Normally I'd wait 2 days and check again and if stable bottle it. At this point I haven't seen anything that looks like an infection and the sample tasted good. My question is, how long does it take for an infection to make itself known? Is it safe to stick with my normal schedule for bottling or should I wait longer?

What do you clean with, and had you cleaned just prior to transferring into it? Your schedule is much quicker than I would be using. I would give it another week at least. Check gravity/taste again. And bottle if good. You're are probably fine.

I washed with One Step just before I got called away. Normally I'm fine with this botting schedule for this beer as it doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference letting it sit in primary longer.

You should be good to go. Many brewers use One Step and nothing else. No sanitizer following cleaning.

When I first started brewing about 15 years ago, One-Step is what was included in my beginner kit as a “no rinse sanitizer”. I used it for years on carboys and bottles with no problems. I think the OP will be fine especially since he stated that fermentation started fairly quickly.
Sláinte

People tend to overstate the importance of sanitizers. Proper cleaning and rinsing prior the use is the most important thing, sanitizing is more an insurance on top of it. Cleaning does not kill the bacteria but it does wash most of them away if you are thorough with your scrubbing. Some may be left behind but know that yeast is a fighter, if you pitch a healthy amount of yeast the wort will soon be saturated with yeast cells that leave very little space for other bugs to grow.

People have been making alcohol long before they knew what bacteria were and sanitizer liquids existed. RDWHAHB.

Back