Unrefrigerated Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop_monster_

Reaction score
So I’m gonna be moving and have two home brew kegs still on tap. Will they be ok left unrefrigerated for 24 hours after transporting? Do I have to leave the kegerator sitting upright for 24 hours after transporting or if it’s transported standing would there be no need? If I don’t need the kegerator sitting overnight the kegs would be left unrefrigerated for around 3 hours max which I feel wouldn’t hurt as they’ll still stay chilled I assume? All input is greatly appreciated 😃

I’ve been trying to power through the kegs but don’t see me finishing them by moving day lol

24 hours unrefrigerated would be fine. You will stir up the bottom sludge while moving so the first pour will be cloudy.

No need to let the kegerator sit for any period of time if it was transported upright. Even if it tilts a bit on a dolly or carrying, it will be fine to plug in and go. If it spends any time on it's side (or past 45°) a good general rule is to let it sit upright for the same amount of time before plugging it back in.

3 hours might take the chill out of the beer, but still drinkable.

Moving sucks.

Good to know. Yea I figured it would be fine but wanted the extra input for the piece of mind. We both know the time and effort put into the brewing process and didn’t want it go to waste. I appreciate the quick reply! Cheers!
24 hours unrefrigerated would be fine. You will stir up the bottom sludge while moving so the first pour will be cloudy.

No need to let the kegerator sit for any period of time if it was transported upright. Even if it tilts a bit on a dolly or carrying, it will be fine to plug in and go. If it spends any time on it's side (or past 45°) a good general rule is to let it sit upright for the same amount of time before plugging it back in.

3 hours might take the chill out of the beer, but still drinkable.

Moving sucks.

You’ll be fine. Just keep it out of the direct heat.
I’ve been known to forget about kegs and leave them out in my bar for a day or so... no noticeable I’ll effects.

Back