Unreasonable Sense of Entitlement. The scourge of modern society.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn’t order to begin with, and certainly not again either if shipments were signature required. Especially at these relatively nominal value.

Unfortunate cost of doing business when you ship. One of the few things I like about amazon is that they will eat that risk. That’s why they’re winning.
Is Amazon selling 55lbs of Weyermanns Barke Munich, wyeast 3068 and brewtan-b?

Looks like they have one of the three.

They're aẞholes who don't care if your business flourishes or dies. They are the ones who are being unreasonable. Probably a millennial who thinks the world revolves around their schedule. Everybody has to flex accordingly, if they don't, they suck, and is not worthy of their business.

Fug'em you don't need the aggravation.
Let's be honest with ourselves generational status has no bearing on whether people are entitled. I come across just as many blue-haired ladies that want to name drop their way into getting their way ("I don't care who your husband/son is...") Or soccer moms that have 4 kids and need something now!! ("Your kids schedules don't effect me...")

Not that they're aren't' plenty of entitled millennial, but every generation had it's 'lazy' counterculture monikers; flappers, dirty greasers, lazy hippies, slackers X'ers, entitled millennial, unaware Gen Z's... It's an issue of age group not generation. The elders will always believe the youth are lazy because the elders have made it easier for their own children and scorn them for it. These entitled kids get to ride a bus...Back in my day, we walked to school, up hills both ways, in a blinding blizzard, 120F heatwave, and mud up to their knees. [end useless rant]:mug:

Either way I've never known it to help throwing a giant fit at any industry, except the telecoms. If they're not shipping to a place of business how many big orders we're they really going to order? Good riddance.

Let's be honest with ourselves generational status has no bearing on whether people are entitled. I come across just as many blue-haired ladies that want to name drop their way into getting their way ("I don't care who your husband/son is...") Or soccer moms that have 4 kids and need something now!! ("Your kids schedules don't effect me...")

Not that they're aren't' plenty of entitled millennial, but every generation had it's 'lazy' counterculture monikers; flappers, dirty greasers, lazy hippies, slackers X'ers, entitled millennial, unaware Gen Z's... It's an issue of age group not generation. The elders will always believe the youth are lazy because the elders have made it easier for their own children and scorn them for it. These entitled kids get to ride a bus...Back in my day, we walked to school, up hills both ways, in a blinding blizzard, 120F heatwave, and mud up to their knees. [end useless rant]:mug:

Either way I've never known it to help throwing a giant fit at any industry, except the telecoms. If they're not shipping to a place of business how many big orders we're they really going to order? Good riddance.
You may be right that it may not be generationally related.

My perspective is that those technically literate (in this situation) don't want any kind of 1:1 social interaction. Then object to such requirement.

My point in case is people like this ^^^^^ who only text verses call. They get pissed about lack of response. They don't escalate communication properly. Like making a call

This jackass probably wouldn't act that way on a phone call. They hide behind a keyboard and act all indignant. Feck them, buy shãt from Amazon. Don't contact a website and expect the same exact terms and conditions as a large multi-million dollar online seller.

Regardless - people who don't read the policy on the website have nobody else to blame but themselves.

Last edited:
You think mail order customers are an entitled bunch?
Try working in the criminal justice field. People who commit crimes are the least worthy of getting anything and demand the most.
And I keep saying I want to cut back on alcohol....
:drunk:

Technology has introduced a level of anonymity that allows people to be jerks without fear of reprisal.

Sending an email, a bad review online, a call from their cell phone, all hide who the person is. These allow people to say things they would never dare say to your face. No chance of recognizing them in passing in a dark alley at night.

All the Best,
D. White

The requirement of a signature, Then a comparison of an outfit like Brewhardware to Amazon is just out there. One is a multi billion dollar operation, A bank of lawyers working on insurance that will cover any loss by porch pirates. etc. The other has a small margin of profit. A few $1000 thefts by porch pirates and the profit for the year is gone......

That isn't even comparing apples to oranges. It is more like comparing apples to water buffalo.

$15,000

That's how much I personally lost last year to fraud and package theft. Why me personally? Because I am a single owner business and that's just how it works. If we didn't have that signature policy, that number would be at least double. Anyone that thinks a small family owned business should (or could) take on that kind of liability is out of touch and is definitely helping to accelerate making Amazon the only place to buy anything.

What I explained to Mr. Entitled is that if the package was marked as delivered by UPS and he claimed it wasn't there when he got home, we'd have a major problem. He would demand that I reship it or refund (or he'd call the credit card company and cause me a further expense). If you ordered $400 worth of merch and it wasn't on the porch when you got home, that's exactly what everyone expects right?

As I said, UPS and other carriers offer free services to ensure you can get your package with the least additional stress as possible.

I wouldn’t order to begin with, and certainly not again either if shipments were signature required. Especially at these relatively nominal value.

Unfortunate cost of doing business when you ship. One of the few things I like about amazon is that they will eat that risk. That’s why they’re winning.

I hope there's nothing in my product catalog that you may need in the future. No soup for you!

I hope there's nothing in my product catalog that you may need in the future. No soup for you!

I’ve had enough issues with stuff I’ve bought from you and didn’t get satisfactory resolution that you don’t have to worry about any more business from me.

I’ve had enough issues with stuff I’ve bought from you and didn’t get satisfactory resolution that you don’t have to worry about any more business from me.

And you call your customers entitled?

Ouch. Can we get a mic drop please.
giphy.gif

I used to manufacture products used by other businesses who manufacture the end product ordered by their customers. I had 2-3 of these business customers who would claim that 2 out of 3 packages never arrived, even though I had delivery receipt from the shipping company that it was delivered to their shop.

I swapped to a policy of every order, no matter how $ insignificant, required signature for delivery. An amazing thing happened immediately upon my next shipment: I suddenly had zero instances where those customers didn't receive their goods as the shipping company said they did. Coincidence? I think not.
Many years ago I worked at an automotive supply warehouse and one customer was constantly claiming items were missing from his orders. That stopped happening when informed that from that point on the general manager would personally be pulling all his orders.

Too highbrow? ;)

As a self-employed type I sympathize with folks like Bobby_M. A $15K hit would frost my buns and I'd strive to avoid a repeat of same.
If the transaction and delivery conditions for large/pricey purchases are plainly stated I don't see what the bitching is about...

Cheers!

OK, I've read through this dang thread...Ive ordered a bunch from bobby this past year and yes, at times it seemed to have been an inconvenience (to me) to be there when signature is required. However, I will always gladly accept the "signature required" requirement. Not because I saw numerous references to it on Bobby's website, order confirmation, etc, but because even when Ive had a stupid noob question (like my name implies), bobby has always responded to my questions honestly and quickly! Customer support from Bobby can't and won't ever be trumped by the lesser value in getting something from amazon in less than 24 hours after ordering. Thanks for all you do Bobby!

EDIT: BTW, Seinfeld WAS funny! If you don't think so....no soup for you! lol :)

[Removed quotation]

Bobby's is one of the best companies that I have worked with and I wholly support his position. And in fairness he was responding to very negative statements aimed at him.

It is an idiotic idea that "the customer is always right"

He states it as it is. If you don't want to do business with him, he is probably better off not having you as a customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobby's is one of the best companies that I have worked with and I wholly support his position. And in fairness he was responding to very negative statements aimed at him.

It is an idiotic idea that "the customer is always right"

He states it as it is. If you don't want to do business with him, he is probably better off not having you as a customer.

Now it makes sense to me why he didn’t replace some bad camlocks he sent me. He assumed I was ripping him off. But I was the one getting shafted.

Every cam lock in my set up is from him and I’ve got 3-4 that won’t mate. Buyer beware. He doesn’t stand behind his product because he doesn’t trust his customers.

I state it as it is, too! There's plenty of retailers. If someone's going to complain about having to do some legwork in response to delayed or lost deliveries, then find another retailer! It's really that simple. These aren't one off custom hand built products; it's retail. Competition exists to protect everyone!

Either way I've never known it to help throwing a giant fit at any industry, except the telecoms.

Our local telcom (a Bell company that was never part of the Bells that were broken up) has a general policy that if a customer calls up yelling and screaming, he/she is not likely to get help as quickly. Their customer support has also been transitioning back to the U.S. A customer is thus more likely to talk with someone who lives in the area...

YMMV.

Our local telcom (a Bell company that was never part of the Bells that were broken up) has a general policy that if a customer calls up yelling and screaming, he/she is not likely to get help as quickly. Their customer support has also been transitioning back to the U.S. A customer is thus more likely to talk with someone who lives in the area...

YMMV.
My last experience was with ATT for cellphones. I spend 2 hours trying to be nice with them. During the third hour, I lost my patience with getting the run around. Our local utilies plant board is much more reasonable and helpful.

I state it as it is, too! There's plenty of retailers. If someone's going to complain about having to do some legwork in response to delayed or lost deliveries, then find another retailer! It's really that simple. These aren't one off custom hand built products; it's retail. Competition exists to protect everyone!

So you are saying that small businesses need to absorb the loss due to porch pirates because it inconveniences people with the signature required???

As a small business like yourself I can understand your frustration, and tip my hat off to you for all of your efforts ; but to vent in front all of your current/previous and potential customers can't end well.

This is true. But he reinforced my support for his company by not placating.....

Now it makes sense to me why he didn’t replace some bad camlocks he sent me. He assumed I was ripping him off. But I was the one getting shafted.

Every cam lock in my set up is from him and I’ve got 3-4 that won’t mate. Buyer beware. He doesn’t stand behind his product because he doesn’t trust his customers.

Got your side of the story in part. "Now for the rest of the story"

Wow. If you aren't happy with the experience you had then simply shop elsewhere, it's not like you don't have options. Sheesh. Some people won't be happy until Amazon is the only online store. I love the smaller, independent homebrew retailers because I feel like my business is welcome and actually matters to somebody. Besides, IME the smaller guys always have the best prices and service.

tell that to the brew club i was going to that wanted to start charging dues to buy other people their equip......

Not meaning to hijack this thread...

Interesting. I think you may be commenting on the same club I was looking into in AZ. Maybe not. I got the impression there was an "inner circle" that benefited and regular members were there because of the need for cash flow (dues). Maybe I got the wrong impression.

Don't get me wrong, I believe and see the need for dues and gladly pay them with several organizations. I just don't want to pay dues that eventually go and benefit a few inner circle members......unless I'm one of those inner circle members! :yes:

Last edited:
Maybe I got the wrong impression.

no, i doubt it...the meeting before the dues topic, guy who wanted free stuff said he tried to work as little as possible.....

and the $25 i spend on this forum a year is to pay for the storage, because all google searches led back here....

(and also, no i was living in nor-cal at the time...)

Do you have an email you can forward to me where I told you that I wouldn't replace defective product because I didn't trust you? I'll admit that sometimes I'll ask a customer to do some work to make sure there isn't a misunderstanding or take a minute. You have no idea how many times an email or call comes in complaining about a missing item and I'll print a label and box it up. 15 minutes later I get a call that says disregard, I found it wrapped in paper. That happens with parts compatibility issues, I thought that item came with that item, and any other misunderstanding you can think of.

Sometimes I email back asking for clarification and that answer never comes back. Sometimes we do get an answer back and it warrants action legitimately and we drop the ball like the humans that we are. I hate that it happens but it's impossible to get it right 100% of the time.

Back