Unplanned ingredient added to my wort today...is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myerstyson

Reaction score
Help!
BLUF: Sometime during my boil, a plastic light cover from the oven grill fell in my kettle.

So, our house here has a glass top stove, and an embassy-provided U.S. electric oven/stove combo. I usually use the US stove, but the big burner stopped working today. I did the boil on my glass top (which worked fine, if slow, for my first 5 brews). At some point during my nice and steady boil, the plastic light cover from the grill above the stove fell in my brew pot (see pictures).

After boil was done, I moved the pot over to my US stove to do a whirlpool and then cooling (w/wort chiller). During the 2-min stirring, I heard something in the pot, but thought it must be me bumping the spoon against the valves on the pot. Later, when I poured the wort into the fermenter, I saw the light cover at the bottom of the pot.

QUESTION: Is my beer ruined? It smelled wonderful. (I did the Fruitcake recipe in Extreme Brewing.) I didn't taste the gravity sample though. Did the plastic leach something dangerous in the beer?

165955_10208446669709440_5210548022088893663_n.jpg

This is where the light cover fell from.

1913949_10208446669309430_2511603003080288404_n.jpg

This is the POS plastic light cover that I found in the bottom of my kettle.

As long as it was in the boil, the only likely side effect is slitghtly lower head retention if you just introduced a lot of animal fat/veggie oil into the wort.

Back