Unmilled grains... continue with the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorrow

Reaction score
Wasn't paying attention and mashed in this morning with a kit I ordered. I have a mash and boil, so while I'm waiting for the grains to drain I noticed the grains are not crushed. It's was a pale ale, and the color is correct, but is there any reason to move forward with the boil or will this just be a waste of time and hops? Checked my order and it was my mistake, I must a missed the check box to crush the grains.

Sadly, there's not much point in moving forward....unless you want to do an experiment to see what your gravity ends up being.

You're not going to get much, but might be worth finishing for that reason. I wouldn't fool with fermenting it, it'll just be a waste of yeast.

Though, at this point you can take a sample, cool it, and take a hydrometer reading.

BTW, I'd list my errors in brewing just to try to make you feel better about it, but HBT probably doesn't have enough bandwidth.... :)

Thanks. It's apparently too early for me to be doing this but I did take a reading and had next to no sugar in the wort. So I dumped it. Rather waste 10# of grain, then hops and yeast.

Back