Pelikan

Reaction score
EDIT

Did some reading, and adjusted some things. This is what I've got now:

3 lb Maris Otter
2 lb 6-Row
4 lb Torrified Wheat
8 oz Flaked Oats

I've determined (rightly or wrongly) that American 6-row can take up to 60% adjuncts. So the 6-row addition in and of itself is about enough to convert the wheat.

The write up I read on 6-row also said it has a higher proportion of husks, etc, and is ideal for mashing wheat. If this is the case, will I still need the rice hulls, or will the 6-row serve double duty in this regard?

I was told (a few posts down) that I should consider a protein rest. Is this necessary in a beer that's supposed to be hazy?

While I'm at it, 1 oz of Bitter Peel and 1 oz Coriander sound good?

CBBaron

Reaction score
Unmalted grains have no enzymes.
Wheat beers can be made with the ratio of wheat to barley you suggest BUT they use malted wheat. I don't think you have enough diastic power to convert especially because MO malts usually have a lower diastic power than do domestic 2-row (kilned a little darker).
I think you will need to add some 6-row and some rice hulls to mash this recipe.

Craig

flyangler18

Reaction score
That's a lot of torrified wheat! You have your ratios reversed - classically, wits are 60/40 barley and unmalted wheat or 60/30/10 barley/unmalted wheat/oats.

Even if you scale it back to be more in line with those ratios, you don't have enough base malt for a 5 gallon batch so you'll have to adjust volumes, etc. Also, I'd definitely consider a protein rest given the amount of unmashed cereals (torrified wheat and oats).

OP
Pelikan

Pelikan

Reaction score
EDIT: Edited the original post to reflect new findings.