Unmalted grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I am going to brew a wheat beer this weekend. I was planning on doing 40% 2 row, 40% malted wheat and 20% unmalted wheat. I was told that over 10% unmalted adjuncts need a cereal mash. Can I just do a protein rest at 110 for the entire mash for 30 minutes and then step to 150-152 and continue normally or do i have to cook the unmalted wheat separately first? If so. Why? Thanks

The unmalted wheat needs to be gelatinized by cooking so that the starch can be converted to fermentable sugars by the enzymes in the mash.

I am going to brew a wheat beer this weekend. I was planning on doing 40% 2 row, 40% malted wheat and 20% unmalted wheat. I was told that over 10% unmalted adjuncts need a cereal mash. Can I just do a protein rest at 110 for the entire mash for 30 minutes and then step to 150-152 and continue normally or do i have to cook the unmalted wheat separately first? If so. Why? Thanks

Whether or not you need to do a cereal mash is not determined by the percentage of unmalted grain but whether or not they have been processed to gelantize their starches. Raw grain will need to be milled and cooked in a cereal mash. Flaked or torrified wheat does not require this step. A mash @ 110F is not necessary. Depending on the type of wheat beer being brewed you can do a single temp mash or if you want to step it I'd suggest a first rest in the 128-132F range.

Back