Unlimited supply of Jam/when to add-experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
After doing a search and finding answers all over the board about adding jam/pectin I thought I would seek some advice.

My neighbor makes "speciality" jams for Whole Foods in the Southeast and it got me to thinking about trying some summer brews and beginning the experimenting stage of my homebrewing.

Background: I am a BIAB brewer with 10 batches worth of experience

My two jams I have been given are:

Blueberry Lemon Thyme and Blueberry Lime

My idea is to make 5 gallons of a basic wheat recipe. Break wort into 5 1 gallon fermneters and add jam and different stages and different measurements to judge.

My worry is the pectin in the jam. Should the jam be added in the last 15 minutes of boil to dissolve pectin or at flame out?

If I add the jam in secondary I am worried the pectin will not dissolve. If the pectin will seperate and fall to the bottom of secondary and leave taste I can rack the beer out.

Any advice or ideas?

Id be more wrried about the sugar in the jam than the pectin - you should try to balance that sugar with some crystal malt or something cause its gonna dry out - jam is basically sugar with some fruit. Looking forward to following your progress

Have you thought of using toe jam I don't think it has any sugar but it might give off flavors. Seriously I would think you could add Jam right to the Fermenter any pectin should settle out. Pectin is suppose to be a netural taste. I do agree it might dry the beer out some.

Add it straigt to the fermenter after main fermentation is finished. With all the sugar, it will start working again, and this activity will ensure it all gets mixed up.

If really concerned about getting it mixed, take some cooled boiled water (water has oxygen in it that you don't want; boiling drives it off), and gently mix the jam in with it. If the water is still warm, it will mix better.

It's a wheat, so it probably doesn't matter if the pectin stays in suspension or not.

Back