Unknown Wet Hop Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
So this is a shot in the dark, but my friend recently bought a house, and the previous owner was growing hops on a fence in her backyard. She offered to let me pick the hops, so I am going to do that tomorrow (sunday) morning. From what I have read, I should be using normal hops for bittering and wet hops for aroma.

She doesn't know what type of hops they are. So I plan on picking the hops tomorrow, and going to the local home brew store to mill my grain. I have Maris Otter on hand.

I found this recipe in the Beer Advocate magazine I recently subscribed to:

7 lb Domestic 2 row
7 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Munic
1 lb British Crystal 60L

Strike at 153 and rest for 60 minutes

1.5 oz Warrior (pellet) 15% 60 minutes
8 oz Citra Wet Hop Flowers 0 minutes (whirlpool)

Yeast
US-05, WPL001, or Wyeast 1056

So I am thinking I will get the US-05, use 15 lbs Maris Otter and 1 lb Crystal 60L. I have a couple oz columbus and an oz cascade on hand. As previously stated I don't know what the hops she has are but hope they can shed some light on it at the store. Maybe do 1 oz of cascade and 1 oz of columbus at 60 and dry hop with 8 oz of whatever she has?

I really don't know how this will turn out but I thought it'd be interesting to try it, and I bought a bulk bag of grain in the spring I'd like to work on in addition to the hops mentioned. Curious as to what anyone might say before noon Sunday (tomorrow or today, depending on your time zone)

Thanks much.

Bombing it at the end would certainly show the aroma and flavor of the mystery hop. I also think your straight Maris Otter rather than splitting it up is a fine idea. MO is one of my fav base malts for almost any beer. I really like the little extra it brings over regular 2-row.

I don't think your local home brew store will be able to shed much light on what you have for a hop. Although there are definitely differences in leaf and flower morphology - you'd have to be a bit of a hop expert to really tell.

I wonder if a quick hop tea would shed some light on what you might expect from them?

Either way - good luck!

So I'm heating my mash water, a bit behind schedule. The guy at the home brew store wasn't sure what kind of hops they were but was glad to look at them for me. He thought I might have picked them too early, but maybe he didn't know that wet hops have less oil in them, I'm not sure. I think he might be new there.

I picked apart a few of the hops and made a tea with them. It is very interesting but I think I would need to compare it to other hop teas to have any idea what it is.

Back