unintentional lagering of mead....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWBasementBrewer

Reaction score
So im on my first batches of mead. They are about 2 months old and have pretty low gravity reading. Between 1.010 and 1.000, i have 2 batches a traditional and a cyser.

So my main question is it bad to get a mead cold? i have them in my basement and its 27* outside and i have crap insulation in my house and dont heat it much. All cause im broke haha. So right now they are sitting at 42* in a 5 gal carboy, am i worrying too much or could this have ill-effects down the road.

As long as you're satisfied that fermentation was fully complete, this is actually a good thing, in that it will help with clarification.

In the case of your 1.000 batch, I'd say it's done, and it's fine. In the case of the 1.010 batch it may or may not be done depending on the recipe/yeast.

So my main question is it bad to get a mead cold? Am i worrying too much or could this have ill-effects down the road.

Think about that for a minute. What culture famously drank mead? Vikings. I don't think they worried that their mead got cold before it was ready. They drank it by the flagon and sang of blood and glory. As long as it doesn't freeze, don't worry about it.

Everything I'm aging is currently in the basement at 44F....I'm expecting it to drop another 6 degrees before it starts to warm back up. Best case scenario....It'll help that damn peach mead to clear....since the pectic enzyme I added got laughed at!

It'll help that damn peach mead to clear....since the pectic enzyme I added got laughed at!

Ha! Damn Peaches I love them, but after hearing so many other brewers (more experienced) have trouble with them, I am definitely at least going to wait a while to try them out.

Everything I'm aging is currently in the basement at 44F....I'm expecting it to drop another 6 degrees before it starts to warm back up. Best case scenario....It'll help that damn peach mead to clear....since the pectic enzyme I added got laughed at!

I've had two gallons of passion fruit/mango mead in the garage for the past month that I've been trying to cold stabilize. As you know, it hasn't been above 5F for several days and they started to freeze. Even the beer in the fridge in the garage began to freeze. I brought them back inside but they still haven't cleared! About that pectic enzyme...

Back