Uneven airlock in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inthreadwetrust

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting and brand new to brewing. My question is how to fix an uneven airlock during my secondary fermenting? The airlock is currently uneven with the side exiting the airlock filled with more water then the side entering the carboy. Do I need to take it out and fix it? Should I use vodka instead or water? I'm just concerned that my first 5 gallon batch (I've done 1 gallons) will go to waste if it's not fixed!

Thanks!

Yes, replace the water with vodka or a Starsan solution. These will keep bacteria and mold spores from migrating through the air lock. Especially important if this liquid gets sucked into your fermentor.

It is not a problem having more liquid in one side of the airlock than the other. This just indicates a pressure difference. CO2 is most likely coming out of solution and pushing out of your carboy. Same as when active fermentation was producing the bubbles.

Really only need to be concerned (slightly) is if it's higher on the carboy side, as it might eventually suck a bit of liquid in due to "pressure differences" - can be caused by extreme weather change (pressure system moving through the area) or temperature changes (carboy area getting colder). I've never had a problem with backflow, just monitor the airlocks every other day, top up if needed, pop it out for a second to "equalize" it if the above mentioned is going on....have never used vodka nor starsan in my airlocks....H2O is fine, generally. It's more of a monitoring "problem" with long term ferments....barley wines, meads, wines, what-have-you...

Back