Understanding Hydrometer Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNut24

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure I understand or am reading my hydrometer correctly (yes I sucked at chemistry in high school but have been reading up on using a hydrometer). Brewed a batch of Liberty Cream Ale and had an initial test of 1.04 S.G. Would this appear correct? Appreciate the help.

That sounds about right, 1.040 is average for a lighter beer. three things to remember with Hydrometers.

1. Read at the water line, not the meniscus.

2. Make sure the wort/beer is at the right temp (60-65F, it says on the hydrometer) if the temps do not match up there are conversion charts on the internet.

3. The big one is that when making extract batches, hydrometer readings are often inaccurate on brewday. The different densities of the boiled wort and the top-off water don't mix properly unless you stir it really well. With extract batches, the proper weights of LME/DME with the right amount of water always gives you the right specific gravity (SG).

Back