Understanding BIAB calculators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just test with water or while actually brewing. I get 0.7 gals/hr in my setup (5 gal kettle on my gas stove) but I always record actual so I can tweak the formulas for the next brew.

I see so there is not an exact number?

What factors would differentiate? Kettle diameter maybe?

Kettle diameter: The larger the diameter the more surface area is exposed to air.
Ambient temperature and humidity: These are a given
Heat output of heat source: More output = more water loss, in general

Indoors people usually see 0.5 - 1 gal/hr. Outdoors it can be higher (I've seen people talk about 2 gal/hr, but many just see 1 gal/hr)

You'll have to test and find out.

I usually get about 1 gallon per hour indoors with my BIAB. It depends highly by the weather and humidity. During the winter, it seems to be more since the air in my apartment is dryer

I learned to brew by listening to the Jamil show, and he always said 1 gallon per hour, so that is what I use. I am lucky enough to hit my numbers using this along with the BIAB efficiency, in Beersmith (whatever that number is) so I really have never had to break down my process all that much.

I learned to brew by listening to the Jamil show, and he always said 1 gallon per hour, so that is what I use. I am lucky enough to hit my numbers using this along with the BIAB efficiency, in Beersmith (whatever that number is) so I really have never had to break down my process all that much.

This sounds good enough to me.

How is the efficiency calculated? Is that just the SG?

I use the standard efficiency setting in Beersmith for the 13.5 gallon pot BIAB and 6 gallon batches. If you arent familiar with the Jamil show...he makes 6 gallon batches so that 5 gallons end product results 1/2 gallon loss in kettle, 1/2 gallon loss in fermenter. These numbers have always worked pretty darn well for me.

Also, if you dont have Beersmith yet, it's dang near a must. All the calculations are in there for you from water volume to strike temps to hydrometer temp adjustments. Once you get your equipment settings straight, you dont have to think about them anymore. Pretty sweet.

A question about these calculators that I see online.

How do I know how much is going to boil off during the boil?

This is the calculator that I was looking at:

http://biabbrewing.com/brew-day-prep/biab-calculators-and-software/

Like they said, boil off is going to vary based mostly on diameter and heat source. Humidity will also affect it, but I've found it to be less significant. I would suggest doing a test run with water for an hour and recording your volumes.

My calculator is listed in my sig, which was based off his spreadsheet and has several features that weren't included and imo seems a bit more user friendly. I've contacted biabbrewing.com's site owner and he has my blog linked on that page as "Priceless Brew in a Bag Calculator." For various biased reasons, I suggest using mine. At least take a look! :D

It's at http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

15 Gallon MegaPot 1.2 w/ Dark Star burner... 1.66 Gallons per hour boil off rate in my garage.. Doesn't seem to matter if it's hot/Cold/humid/Dry.. I'm coming in within 1/10th of a gallon every time on my boiloff..

Like they said, boil off is going to vary based mostly on diameter and heat source. Humidity will also affect it, but I've found it to be less significant. I would suggest doing a test run with water for an hour and recording your volumes.

My calculator is listed in my sig, which was based off his spreadsheet and has several features that weren't included and imo seems a bit more user friendly. I've contacted biabbrewing.com's site owner and he has my blog linked on that page as "Priceless Brew in a Bag Calculator." For various biased reasons, I suggest using mine. At least take a look! :D

It's at http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

I checked it out. What do I put in for sparging volume?

I checked it out. What do I put in for sparging volume?

That's dependent on your recipe and equipment, for a full volume mash you would put 0. It's only needed if you want to mash thicker, and sparge, or need to due to physical constraints (mash volume is more than kettle volume).

Back