Underpitching or Large Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobS

Reaction score
Ok here is my question, say I brew up a 5 gallon batch of my favorite home brew, I add a pack of Wyeast (as designed for 5gal pitch), and then 24-48hr later I add a fresh 5gal of appropriate temperature wort to the fermenting beer. Will this be an under pitched 10Gal, or is there enough growth time? Has anyone done this? What results should I expect?

I'd wait for the first batch to ferment out, rack to secondary and then pitch the new beer.

Its the same beer, my system really only handles 5gal batches well, and trying to do this to get a ten gallon batch, and wondering what the effects would be.

I guess the question isn't so much "should I do X" as "what happens when I do X"

it will be fine, just make sure you adding similar temperature wort as in your fermenter

It will work fine, it is kind of a way of cheating :) . I believe that idea is brought up in the book "Yeast" by White and Zainasheff. You will get a couple cell divisions before the addition so the yeast will be happy.

Back