Underpitched a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
I just made an 1.042 OG pilsner, batch size 4 gal, and pitched an 11.5 gram S-23 Saflager packet of yeast and that is it. It is beginning to form krausen on day 2, but I'm wondering that if I underpitched this brew, what should I anticipate and how can fix it? Its fermenting at 51 F. Thanks everybody.

Mr. Malty says you should have pitched 17 grams, so you were moderately underpitched. Not too much to do about it now, to be honest. A better pitching rate will give you a cleaner ferment, but I suspect that what you have will still be eminently drinkable.

24 hours to low krausen is typical on lagers vs say 6 for ales. So 24-48 hours (second day?) isn't horrible.

I figured that with krausen on the entire surface at 36 hrs it wasn't too bad but this is my first lager so I'm a bit hypervigilant and keep second guessing myself. I know, relax, have a homebrew, etc. But...

I just made an 1.042 OG pilsner, batch size 4 gal, and pitched an 11.5 gram S-23 Saflager packet of yeast and that is it. It is beginning to form krausen on day 2, but I'm wondering that if I underpitched this brew, what should I anticipate and how can fix it? Its fermenting at 51 F. Thanks everybody.

I am subscribing to this thread, because the 2 times I used that yeast I ended up with a beer that tasted like a fruit loop wine cooler. I want to see if this ends up tasting any good :)

And no, you cannot fix your underpitching at this stage, better to just ride it out.

:mug:

Besides the obvious underpitch, what is your fermentation temp and did you push any O2 into the wort before pitching? Too low of a temp or an unstable temp can slow/stall fermentation and not pushing enough O2 can slow things down a bit as well.

Temps at 51 F. No direct O2, just shaking things around a lot. Its been at high krausen for >16 hours.

I am subscribing to this thread, because the 2 times I used that yeast I ended up with a beer that tasted like a fruit loop wine cooler. I want to see if this ends up tasting any good :)

And no, you cannot fix your underpitching at this stage, better to just ride it out.

:mug:

what temperature did you ferment at?

Well, no fruit loop wine cooler off flavors with this yeast on this brew. Fermented at 50 the whole way.

Latest posts

Back